Advice needed - Canada and USA wide brake rotor shortage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice needed - Canada and USA wide brake rotor shortage?

Canuckguy

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I took my 2014 Explorer XLT (19000 kms) into dealer due to an annoying low speed brake squeal. Told me a minor resurface would fix and is covered under warranty.

Truck returned with major brake noise to the point where they acknowledged a full rotor replacement would be required :scratch: (vehicle is not drivable). This was over a week ago.

Dealer tells me no ETA on parts - "could be days, weeks", but it's on "order down" (whatever that means???). They've given me a rental car, but this really sucks...I want my truck back!

I know Ford reps frequent this board, what in the world is going on where brake rotors are not available????? Anyone else hear of this specific problem or offer general advice on how to ensure the quickest resolution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Canuckguy, the Ford service reps here would not be able to provide any answers for you. They don't deal with Ford techs or dealers. They are here to provide assistance in getting issues escalated to the Regional Customer Service Managers. No one else has mentioned any problems getting brake work done.

Peter

After decades of experience in this area, the majority, as in 90% or better of brake squeal or noise occurring when the pads are NOT worn out has nothing to do with the rotors. It is almost always caused by the pad's metal surfaces rubbing/vibrating against the caliper/caliper bracket's metal surfaces.

Every brake job I've done gets a high-end brake lube applied to all surfaces of the pad/caliper/caliper bracket that make contact with each other; and unless the pads come with good, well attached rubberized shims, the backs get a brake adhesive to ensure there is no metal to metal contact. I never get any issues with brake related noise that is not a result of either worn out pads or heat hardened pads. Even under extreme/severe hard driving/braking conditions.

While I can't and wont speak for either the Ford parts or the Ford technicians in this, or any other case, I know 2 important facts relating to brake 'issues':

1. Inexpensive pads do not have quality shims and they will make noise that can only be corrected by replacing with better quality parts.

2. Anytime the brake system is disassembled, all parts should be properly cleaned and lubricated prior to reassembly even when all the original parts are being put back on. Pay under warranty is typically lower than pay under non-warranty; and the time permitted is also generally lower as well. This leads to a situation where 'Shim it and ship it' is the rule of thumb. In these cases it is also common for the tech to be told what to do/what he/she will be paid for and not left to determine and correct the actual cause. This usually leads to a situation where the noise is abated when the car leaves, so everyone says 'problem solved' when, in reality, it's not and the noise will return after more driving, or a good rain.

I bet ya that we got one of those rotors when we got our stuck brake fixed the other week. Maybe that stuck brake problem is a little more common.

Canuckguy, the Ford service reps here would not be able to provide any answers for you. They don't deal with Ford techs or dealers. They are here to provide assistance in getting issues escalated to the Regional Customer Service Managers. No one else has mentioned any problems getting brake work done.

Thank you for such helpful information, Peter! It's greatly appreciated. :)

I took my 2014 Explorer XLT (19000 kms) into dealer due to an annoying low speed brake squeal. Told me a minor resurface would fix and is covered under warranty.

Truck returned with major brake noise to the point where they acknowledged a full rotor replacement would be required :scratch: (vehicle is not drivable). This was over a week ago.

Dealer tells me no ETA on parts - "could be days, weeks", but it's on "order down" (whatever that means???). They've given me a rental car, but this really sucks...I want my truck back!

I know Ford reps frequent this board, what in the world is going on where brake rotors are not available????? Anyone else hear of this specific problem or offer general advice on how to ensure the quickest resolution?

I received your PM earlier in the week and asked for some clarification of your concern, and here it is! Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum. Peter is correct about the part status; I don't have access to information regarding advice on the part delay or technical information regarding the brakes.

What I can do is look into this further. With a private message including your full name, best daytime contact number, servicing dealership, and VIN, I'll escalate this to the regional customer service manager as a part delay; as my highest point of contact, the CSM will be able to assist further and answer some questions more thoroughly.

I'll be on the lookout for your PM!

Brittany

Back