• Register Today It's free!

Brake TSB - want new rotors

02Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer V6
I thought I'd share my experience so far on this issue that a lot of us have had. I had the squeeky brake TSB performed, and complained that my rotors were machined as a part of the fix, thereby reducing their usable life. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it without approval from Ford. Cory was very helpful in getting me in touch with a Ford Customer Service manager. They offered an extended component warranty on the brakes that's good for 5 years / 70,000 miles (maybe it was 75,000?). Basically, if I need new rotors for any reason by the time I reach that mileage/age, they will replace them for free - this may have included brake pads too. I was told that this is all she or anyone at her facility/level could offer me. I said I wasn't satisfied with that, and wanted either the rotors replaced now, or to have no limit on this extended coverage, but to no avail. I can either accept this offer, or start all over, and put my complaint in writing to raise it up to the next level (she claims that there's no way for her to forward my file/info on to the next level?). My problem with this is that I don't put a lot of miles on this vehicle, and probably won't need brakes within 5 years. Even if I do, there's a good chance the rotors will be machinable one more time and still be in spec, so they wouldn't have to replace anything.

Has anyone else been successful with getting their rotors replaced after having the TSB performed? Any opinions or advice are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I'd share my experience so far on this issue that a lot of us have had. I had the squeeky brake TSB performed, and complained that my rotors were machined as a part of the fix, thereby reducing their usable life. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it without approval from Ford. Cory was very helpful in getting me in touch with a Ford Customer Service manager. They offered an extended component warranty on the brakes that's good for 5 years / 70,000 miles (maybe it was 75,000?). Basically, if I need new rotors for any reason by the time I reach that mileage/age, they will replace them for free - this may have included brake pads too. I was told that this is all she or anyone at her facility/level could offer me. I said I wasn't satisfied with that, and wanted either the rotors replaced now, or to have no limit on this extended coverage, but to no avail. I can either accept this offer, or start all over, and put my complaint in writing to raise it up to the next level (she claims that there's no way for her to forward my file/info on to the next level?). My problem with this is that I don't put a lot of miles on this vehicle, and probably won't need brakes within 5 years. Even if I do, there's a good chance the rotors will be machinable one more time and still be in spec, so they wouldn't have to replace anything.

Has anyone else been successful with getting their rotors replaced after having the TSB performed? Any opinions or advice are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason, here is in part what the TSB says;

Measure the thickness of the front brake discs.
If the minimum thickness is over 28.5 mm (1.122") resurface them using an on-vehicle brake lathe, Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-00.
It is very important that all of the machining material has been removed from the front brake discs before installing the caliper and pads.
If the minimum thickness is equal to or less than 28.5 mm (1.122"). Replace the front brake disc, refer to WSM, Section 206-03.
Clean caliper anchor plate mounting surfaces, caliper anchor brackets and bolts of machining material. Refer to WSM, Section 206-03.
Replace the front brake pads. Refer to WSM, Section 206-03.
NOTE: FAILURE TO APPLY THE GREASE MAY RESULT IN UNACCEPTABLE BRAKE NOISE AT LOWER SPEEDS UNDER LIGHT BRAKING.

This can be found in the section with the 'Stickies'. The ones that refer to TSB's.

I think that the dealer's offer is reasonable. I don't know of too many parts that have an 'open ended' warranty. I also do not drive that much, 7,700 kms (4,785 miles) so far in 11 months.

Peter

Thanks for your reply Peter,

I understand that the dealer was just following the TSB, and don't fault them at all. In fact, they have been great to work with. The issue I have is that I will now most likely have to replace my rotors the next time I need front brakes. Had the machining not been done, I would most likely be able to get them machined when I need new brake pads, and not need to have them replaced until I need brake pads the NEXT time. I'm sure Ford charges > $100 per rotor, and then the labor to install them on top of that means this is probably around $400 out of pocket. If a part has been acknowledged as sub-standard, defective, needing replacement, then I believe any damage or wear to related parts should be addressed (or avoided) as a part of the fix too.

Jason

P.S. I wasn't asking for free brakes/rotors for life - I just wanted the warranty to be a one-time get out of jail free kind of thing with no time/mileage limit.

Unless you warp the current rotors, they won't require any machining when the time comes for you to replace your brake pads. All they do is scuff/clean-up/de-glaze the rotors, and your are good to go.

I my 3 prior Explorers, I've only had brake pads replaced once. My 2003 had over 70,000 miles- no brake work. My 2005 had over 70,000 miles- no brake work. My 2007 Eddie Bauer need brake pads at about 90,000 miles. Mostly highway miles.

I think you'll be fine.

I would take the offer Ford is willing to give you, as the rotors are basically new, they probably on cut off a few thousand.

I just had my pads replaced on the tsb, they replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors they take off som little that it would never hurt the where and tear so let them replace the pads you will be fine !!!!

How do the new pads compare to the stock ones from the factory?

If the new pads are softer (shorter Life), I would prefer to hear what little noise mine is making for the longevity of the brakes. If the new brakes pads have a longer service life I would consider having the TSB done.

The new pads are not softer they are harder, i dont understand why people complicate things so much ! Look that is the fix its a good one and you still have warrenty on your brakes so just take the fix and see !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply Peter,

I understand that the dealer was just following the TSB, and don't fault them at all. In fact, they have been great to work with. The issue I have is that I will now most likely have to replace my rotors the next time I need front brakes. Had the machining not been done, I would most likely be able to get them machined when I need new brake pads, and not need to have them replaced until I need brake pads the NEXT time. I'm sure Ford charges > $100 per rotor, and then the labor to install them on top of that means this is probably around $400 out of pocket. If a part has been acknowledged as sub-standard, defective, needing replacement, then I believe any damage or wear to related parts should be addressed (or avoided) as a part of the fix too.

Jason

P.S. I wasn't asking for free brakes/rotors for life - I just wanted the warranty to be a one-time get out of jail free kind of thing with no time/mileage limit.

Damage? Wear? Caused by squeaky brake pads? I doubt it. How many miles were on your Ex? How hard do your brake? As others have stated what they shaved off is probably minimal. My Ex had about 2500 miles and they didn't cut rotors at all. Just my thoughts....

Thanks,
Jason

Seems to me that the dealership made more than good with the offer of the component warranty. I would take their offer. Even with new pads and rotors, you would be needing both before 70,000 miles.

martinv

Damage? Wear? Caused by squeaky brake pads? I doubt it. How many miles were on your Ex? How hard do your brake? As others have stated what they shaved off is probably minimal. My Ex had about 2500 miles and they didn't cut rotors at all. Just my thoughts....

I wasn't implying there was damage done by the squeaky brake pads, the damage/wear I was referring to was from the rotors being machined when they replaced the pads. The service manager at the dealership told me that because of the focus on MPG, they make these rotors quite thin, and he thought that one grind of the rotors is probably all you'd get before they would be below spec and need to be replaced. I probably won't get to that point within 5 years, so I don't think the extended warranty is really doing anything for me.

I'm not unreasonable, and not outraged, to me this is just a matter of principle. If this TSB fix is going to cause me to fork over ~$400 at the 6 year point instead of either never, or at 10-12 years if I keep the vehicle that long, I think it's fair to ask for the rotors to be replaced now. To Ford, it's a few hundred dollars to keep a customer that spent $40k satisfied.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. After thinking more about this, I decided to take the extended warranty. I verified that it does cover the entire brake system, which is nice. Both my dealership (Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, MN) and the Customer Service Rep were great to deal with throughout this process.

Thanks to Cory for the help.

Jason

Just got back from an oil change and tire rotation. I have 66000km on my Ex. The dealer said I have to replace my rotor on the rear driver side as the brake pad let loose and the pad seperated. It was metal on metal and destroyed my rotor. I just had brake maintenance done a couple of months ago. Now he says I need to replace both rear pads as they only sell them in pairs. They are over a hundred dollars. As well the new rotor is 130 dollars. Thoughts? I do mainly highway driving and I'm not hard on the brakes.

Just got back from an oil change and tire rotation. I have 66000km on my Ex. The dealer said I have to replace my rotor on the rear driver side as the brake pad let loose and the pad seperated. It was metal on metal and destroyed my rotor. I just had brake maintenance done a couple of months ago. Now he says I need to replace both rear pads as they only sell them in pairs. They are over a hundred dollars. As well the new rotor is 130 dollars. Thoughts? I do mainly highway driving and I'm not hard on the brakes.
Since I lease my vehicles and am a low mileage driver, I haven't had any brake work done in over 12 years. I don't know if 66000 km or 41,000 miles would be in the neighbourhood of a brake job or not. It seems that the problem was caused by a pad coming loose so that doesn't actually mean that you would have required a complete brake job otherwise. I don't think 'brake maintenance' means that replace any parts. More likely just a check and cleaning and lubrication where required.
Unfortunately these things do happen from time to time and there isn't much you can do about it. Warranty cobverage on the barkes is only for 12,000 miles (approx. 20,000 km) so that won't help. Replacing both pads is probably a wise thing to do.

Peter

If I were you I wouldn't go back to the dealer for the brake service. $130 for a rotor is insane. I am a service writer at a shop in Ohio and even if I tried to make rotors cost $130 I couldn't. Napa has rotors listed at $54 a piece and pads @ $100. And those are Napa's best brakes the Adaptive One hybrid brakes. And about the pad separating that does happen not often but it does. Again if I were you I would look for a quality shop. Any shop can service brakes all takes is removing the wheel and undoing some bolts.

I have a good shop other than the dealer. Does it matter if they use a different style rotor on the one the rear and just leave the others as is? The other shop said they can get me a rotor for around 60 and it's just as good as the OEM? They also said they can get pads for 80. Thoughts?

Personally if you are going to go have pads and a rotor replaced on 1 side and just pads on the other you might as well do the rotor as well. Now do you have to, no. But if you do you; have a warranty on the entire rear brakes for X many of miles instead of 1 rotor, and the pads. And its going to be mostly torn apart so throwing on the rotor isn't that much extra $ just the rotor. And almost any rotor is fine unless they use Autozone's duralast brake parts which are cheap pieces of crap. The reason I suggested Napa's brake pads is due to the compound they are made out of the hybrid ceramic pads have better performance and last longer than the cheap pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back