• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer won't stay running

Houdini

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I have a 2005 Explorer with a 4.0, she started throwing a P0430 error and died on the side of the road needing a tow home. Almost everything I read said a P0430 will pollute but not cause the vehicle to stop running but I installed new cats and oxygen sensors anyway. No improvement, she'll start, rev up and then die. I read about testing the MAF sensor so I unplugged it and the truck will start but surge wildly until it dies. I bought a new MAF and no change, unplugged it surges until dead and plugged in it revs up and dies. I can't keep changing parts until it runs but it is not drivable in this condition so I can't drive her to a mechanic.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with this vehicle?

TYIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what happened is that you replaced the parts that were affected by the *REAL* cause of P0430 code. Most of the time P0430 is a bad cat but the main question is why did the cats die?

start with plugs and cops, they cause misfire that can kill the cats, same thing with leaky injectors. A leak in the air intake could cause it too but there should be other codes that show that problem (lean codes)

have you tried cleaning the throttle body?

scan the code and deal with it one by one, sometimes fixing one will lead to fixing others.

I replaced the plugs and wires about a month ago because it was idling rough, but it didn't fix the issue. I have searched for a vacuum leak but haven't found one yet. The only code the day she died was the P0430, I haven't cleaned the throttle body itself but I did run four cans of Sea Foam through in the month prior to her dying on me. I don't have a code reader and she doesn't move so reading codes is difficult now....

Thank you for the suggestions.

as long as the battery wasn't disconnected and you can turn it on without starting the engine you can get the code, getting the code is really important otherwise you're just throwing parts.

imho seafoam can do more harm than good, it's not a cure all. i ran away from a shop that suggested seafoam and gum out cleaner to fix a broken elbow hose (lazy bast* didn't even remove the engine cover to diagnose the problem)

I disconnected the battery to install the MAF sensor.

So what happened you ask?

I ended up towing it to a mechanic, this problem was over my pay grade. They found the plugged exhaust had backed up through the EGR and melted the cheap plastic intake.

From the inside
Intakefrominside_zpsee38bde1.jpg

From the top looking down
Intakefromoutside_zps9f76f4f7.jpg

What they also found was the catalytic had completely disintegrated and plugged the muffler, so I ended up replacing the entire exhaust system. Once it was able to stay running again the ultimate problem was found, one injector was stuck open.

She ran great for three weeks before my daughter loaned it to some punk who went on a joyride, got stoned, and totaled it.

ExplorerWrecked_zps713e968e.jpg

It was a short but fun ride.... I'm in the market for a 2007 and up EB or Limited to replace her. (the Explorer, not my daughter)

Sorry for the bad luck! Thank you for sharing what you found.

Damn that sucks she was totaled!

I like the color too. These are nice looking trucks. Mine is the same year in G2 red.

If mine is ever totaled I think I would go for a later model gen 4 too so I don't have to deal with the issues the gen 3s have (tranny, rear differential, hubs, etc.)

If mine is ever totaled I think I would go for a later model gen 4 too so I don't have to deal with the issues the gen 3s have (tranny, rear differential, hubs, etc.)

That's why I started looking for a 2007 or newer truck. My '05 didn't exhibit any of the dreaded gen. 3 issues but I'm sure it was just a matter of time.

After deductible my settlement was only $500 less than I originally paid so it could have been a lot worse.....

That's why I started looking for a 2007 or newer truck. My '05 didn't exhibit any of the dreaded gen. 3 issues but I'm sure it was just a matter of time.

After deductible my settlement was only $500 less than I originally paid so it could have been a lot worse.....

Yeah, that's not too bad! Try to get a V8 Explorer if you can, I hear the V6 4.0 has timing chain issues. My '05 has that V6 and it seems okay, but it has me a little nervous. I'm going to drive it until it dies though. Over 170k miles now, bought it later last year. Tranny downshifts hard sometimes, upshifts a little weird, and it needs some hubs replaced. Great vehicle otherwise though.

Back