2002 Explorer Temp Gauge Misbehaving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Temp Gauge Misbehaving

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi,

I have a 6 cylinder 2002 Explorer XLT and in the last couple of months the temperature gauge has risen to the point where the check engine light comes on. It normally only happens for a few second and returns to normal.

My assumption is that this would be the thermostat. Looking for other opinions.

If I were to change the thermostat would I have to replace either the upper or lower housings? There are not leaks at all. Not very mechanical, but when researching online it looks as though I should be able to replace it myself.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help guys?

This is still happening. The temp gauge goes up in increments and makes it to the top after about 30 seconds and the check gauge light comes on. After about 10 seconds it returns to normal. Happens any time I have been driving more than 20 minutes and only happens once per trip.

Is the thermostat sticking? Easy to replace?

How long have you had the truck ? When was thermostat housing replaced last because they are known to leak from time to time? And they come new with a thermostat.
To change only the thermostat is very easy on the V6.

Did it over heat when you gave it some gas? Does it tend to be fine on Tick Over?

Thanks for the quick reply. I am the original owner.

The housing has never been replaced and there are no leaks at all. It is all very clean down there.

It hasn't actually over heated, just goes to to of the gauge for about 10 seconds and then returns to normal.

Anything I have to be cautious of when replacing it? Do I have to replace the seal as well?

Not sure what "Tick Over" is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tick Over it means idling.
Drain the coolant out the radiator its really easy on the Explorer probably one of the easiest vehicles to do it on because you have a lot of room and you can get different size containers underneath. Replace the thermostat top off with new coolant.

Thanks for your help. I can't believe how relatively easy and quick it was to replace.

Spark plugs are next! :)

Back