• Register Today It's free!

Question on my 2003 Eddie Bauer

Motsiball

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 FordExplorer XLT 4X4
I just recently bought a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8 that has 150,000 miles on it. Any suggestions on things or maintenance I should do to it immediately? Any trouble shooting you suggest? Are there certain fluids or filters you favor over others? Any suggestions on how to increase gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Common new to you items would be oil change, air filter, fuel filter and plugs. Unless you can confirm with the previous owner.

As to what types/brands. Well, how many opinions do you want? You'll get a lot. I suggest always going with premium brands. Watch out for good advertising and popularity, those don't make a product good.

Keep an ear open for rattling noises coming from the front of the engine on cold startup. Timing chain guides are a big problem on the 4.6 at about that mileage. My engine was running great but I was hearing an occasional noise every once in awhile when I started it up in the garage in the morning. Decided to check by pulling the valve cover off and I could see the broken guide. When I pulled the engine apart I couldn't believe how bad they where. Some say its a maintence thing but I've owned my Ex since 28k and its always had motorcraft filters and 5-20 synthetic oil. That being said use only Motorcraft filters and 5-20 oil in these motors

Common new to you items would be oil change, air filter, fuel filter and plugs. Unless you can confirm with the previous owner.

As to what types/brands. Well, how many opinions do you want? You'll get a lot. I suggest always going with premium brands. Watch out for good advertising and popularity, those don't make a product good.
Are there certain brands or types of fluids you prefer? The owners manual does not say so how many quarts of oil does the engine take? I have a rear end leak so what type of fluid do you suggest for it?

Are there certain brands or types of fluids you prefer? The owners manual does not say so how many quarts of oil does the engine take? I have a rear end leak so what type of fluid do you suggest for it?

Most folks have steered you right. Fluids, filters, maybe plugs. I would pull a plug and see what it looks like before I changed them. It's pretty cheap to change plugs, but if it doesn't need it then it doesn't need it. The 4.6l holds right at 5-6 quarts. A 5 quart jug from Walmart, plus an extra quart that I don't use all of, gets me by.

As to the rear end leak, I was going to suggest for maintenance that you crawl under your vehicle and check tranny, transfer case, and both differentials for leaks. This is a must for me when buying a used vehicle. If I find a little caked on oil on the rear end I don't always freak out, but fresh fluid around the tranny or transfer case is a no-go. That usually means the transmission is acting up and the guy selling it decided to change the fluid to see if it "fixes it." When it doesn't, they sell it before the tranny goes completely.

You need to find out if you have a limited slip rear end (dollars to donuts that you do). If so, you need to add friction modifier with the fluid. Some people have had good luck with mobile 1 synthetic, which supposedly has the friction modifier added. I tried it once and found that my rear end still chattered a little on turns.

Where is the diff. leaking from? Mine was leaking (and had moisture introduced in the rear end) from the vent tube, which had come off the nipple for whatever reason. Changed the fluid, put the tube back on, no leaks since (and a smooth running rear end).

I use Mobil 5w20 synthetic. Before using synthetic, I always ran Castrol conventional. For filters I use Wix. One of the best if not the best. You won't find Motorcraft comparing their filters to Wix, because Wix is better.
For antifreeze, Zerex G-05. This antifreeze (at one point at least and not that long ago) was deemed one of the most efficient ever. I'd run it in any of my cars. Don't mix types and don't buy "universal green."

The 4.6l takes 6 qts of oil.

Never changed tranny or diff fluid, can't help you there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 122

Back