• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wander

Jim A.

Reaction score
City, State
Vanderpool, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
My 215 Explore Sport exhibits "wander" at 75 MPH on cruise control on Interstate Highway. Car is steady on road at 65 MPH. My old 2006 did not do this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went from a full size truck to the EX Sport. I noticed the same right away. I guess I'm used to it now, or it stopped.

No. Mine does not wander at any speed.

No wander here with my '15 XLT. I drive at about 75 on the highway.

Well, in the state where I live the max Speed Limit is 70, in a couple of the surrounding states it's 65, so I have no occasion to drive 75 and cannot answer you.

Haven't noticed any steering wander in my 2014 sport.

My 215 Explore Sport exhibits "wander" at 75 MPH on cruise control on Interstate Highway.

Normal tendency for lower profile, wider tires connected to a sportier suspension. There are numerous articles to Google that talk about this issue. Wider track tires tend to grab differences in pavement, more than a narrower tire.

Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Finally, even though it's a new vehicle...take it to a shop that specializes in 4 wheel alignment and PAY for a proper alignment job. Don't take it to the dealer, nor trust that it was aligned off the delivery truck. Often, they are out of alignment. This is the FIRST thing I do with a new vehicle. If the caster angle is off, it will cause a wandering condition.

Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Finally, even though it's a new vehicle...take it to a shop that specializes in 4 wheel alignment and PAY for a proper alignment job. Don't take it to the dealer, nor trust that it was aligned off the delivery truck. Often, they are out of alignment. This is the FIRST thing I do with a new vehicle. If the caster angle is off, it will cause a wandering condition.

This. I've had alignments off from the factory before as well. I may have got lucky with the Explorer as it seemed fine from the beginning. I also agree with finding a shop that specializes in alignments. I usually take mine to the local Dodge :)eek:) dealer as they have an attached suspension/alignment shop where that's all the employees in that area do.

My dealer does a free alignment check every time the vehicle goes in for service and they provide a complete computer generated printout. My 2011 Explorer only required one alignment during the 3 years I had it.

Peter

Attachments

• PB110308_001.JPG
    PB110308_001.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 201

My 215 Explore Sport exhibits "wander" at 75 MPH on cruise control on Interstate Highway. Car is steady on road at 65 MPH. My old 2006 did not do this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Welcome to the forum, Jim! Have you dropped by your dealership so they can look into this? I'd recommend taking your tech on a test drive so you can show them what you're experiencing. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

All good answer above. The two big things I'd also recommend is the tire pressure and alignment.

The new car now has 1400 miles on the odometer. I used it for a weekend trip this past weekend. So, this was my first interstate highway drive since purchasing it. I will check the tires. And, I will talk to my dealer. And, I will put the suggestion to check the alignment in my back pocket for now. Thanks all.

The new car now has 1400 miles on the odometer. I used it for a weekend trip this past weekend. So, this was my first interstate highway drive since purchasing it. I will check the tires. And, I will talk to my dealer. And, I will put the suggestion to check the alignment in my back pocket for now. Thanks all.

Sure thing, Jim! If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager; just PM me your details and I'll do the rest. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Back