04 Explorer Rear Strut Removal/Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Rear Strut Removal/Replacement

Scottb117x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I am having difficulty removing some of the nuts on the top of the rear strut assembly. There is what looks to be a jounce bumper stop in the way of one of the nuts. I have tried a offset wrench and a flex head wrench to no avail. I hope that I don't have to resort to cutting it out. Has anyone found a way to get that nut out?
Here is a link to a photo I took of the situation
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_x1MrBp4wCHsw2vli0eU63DzTAxcbVtUdcn2WZ2aA7U/edit?usp=sharing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Messianic patience is your only hope. Hit it hard with some PB blaster and wire brushes, and try to squeeze a small wrench or something in there. I forget how I did it exactly, but I know it took some crafty thinking. Perhaps I tried to tackle it by reaching far from the opposite wheel well? Or maybe I'm just thinking there's more space with the 3" body lift I have. Either way, godspeed.

-Dubya

There is one nut holding it on. I could not get to mine. I had to use a "plumbers hacksaw" to cut it up to get to the nut. If you could turn the nut just a little, it'd slide out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 269

there's no bolt/nut inside that thing, it's secured by the 2 bolts on both ends and the 3rd one is just on the opposite side.

https://www.facebook.com/diyfordexp...0.1423093362./204208336313992/?type=3&theater

The 2002 version is different than the 2004. I picked a couple up off a 2002 at the wrecker to replace mine. The '02 uses two nuts and is easier to get on/off. The one nut design is smaller. Probably a cost savings issue.

I still don't know what it's function is. I can't see any way possible for it to contact the body.

I concur with the cutting option. I had to cut that damned thing out, too!

I've done a bunch of these in the shop for broken springs over the years and never did one with this damper until I'm doing my '05 LTD now. I tried various flex sockets, maybe a 3/8" drive chrome swivel medium depth would have worked but I don't have one unfortunately. I used my air hammer from the front to devastate it, then again from the back angle to drive it forward and rotate it in towards the center. A 13mm gear wrench then had room from the wheel well. It's definitely there as a harmonic damper of some sort, and was definitely put on before the body was on on the assembly line. Engineers strike again!

Back