• Register Today It's free!

5.0 explorer injector question

AWDRIVEN1999

Reaction score
City, State
ROLLA, MO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EXPLORER 5.O LIMITED
So, I've been playing with the idea of putting switches on four of my injectors so when I'm at cruising speed I can flick them off to get better fuel economy... Is there any reason anyone can see why this wouldn't work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Misfire codes being thrown?
No better fuel economy anyway?

If you could somehow keep stop the compression stroke from happening on the disabled cylinders you might have something.

Give it a go, and report back.

Don't want to seem like the mean guy, but please don't double post a topic, especially within 1 hour of the other.

I am interested to see how this goes though.

Also curious, but how much more fuel economy do you think you'll save? And how about cruising on the highway with a heavy SUV on 4 cylinders? Seems like it would strain the 4 cylinders that are powering the engine.

That "strain" is that pesky compression stroke (resisting the piston as it comes up to tdc) still occurring, just with no gas to in the cylinder to push the piston back down.

If it were as simple as shutting off four injectors (or 2 for that matter) to get better gas mileage, manufacturers and/or the aftermarket would have been all over it a long time ago.

I know that cars like a Cadillac do this from the factory but it dose it on random cylenders instead of only 4, that said a small block Ford will run with one bank not firing so in other words cylenders 1,2,3,4 not firing and 5,6,7,8 firing or vice versa. It will still run smoothly but basically only a 4 banger. The other thing you got to worry about is you will end up with more wear on the 4 that do fire. I honestly don't see any increase to fuel economy at all as it will take more fuel for the 4 firing cylenders to maintain your speed in such a heavy vehicle. If you want better millage do mods that will increase your torque output, more tq the less the engine has to work.

Well, Ive got 432,000 on this engine, planning on swapping engines this summer anyways. I'm going to try this , and I'll report back... If it damages the cylinders, it won't be the end of the world...

Back