EV14 Fuel Injector Upgrade... increased power and fuel mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EV14 Fuel Injector Upgrade... increased power and fuel mileage

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Anyone done it? EV14 injectors are supposed to atomize better, help fuel mileage and produce slightly more power. I did this upgrade on my 93 Taurus SHO and HOLY COW... whole new car. Fuel mileage I never really checked personally, but the low end grunt was night and day compared to my old EV1 injectors while tested on my butt dyno.

That being said I've been wondering how this upgrade might effect my 96 5.0 Explorer. I have newer injectors in it already (stock replacements) with only about 25k on them now, but am looking for some better fuel mileage and the power increase would help too. Has anyone ever done this upgrade and if so do you have real world results on fuel mileage and if you felt a power increase? I'm not sure the upgrade from EV6 to EV14 would give me a similar result vs my old EV1 design in my SHO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? I'm surprised no one has done this yet.

I would upgrade if I needed new injectors, there not much gain there.

I would upgrade if I needed new injectors, there not much gain there.
Why do you say that? First hand experience or just not much gain from ev6 in general? It made a huge difference from my ev1 setup but ev1 also sucked pretty hard.

It is my understanding that EV14 not only atomize better but have much better accuracy at low duty cycles which means you can install overly large injectors if needed for boosted or nitrous applications and still have great off idle performance.
What injectors do 2001 5.0 Explorer engines have OE?

It is my understanding that EV14 not only atomize better but have much better accuracy at low duty cycles which means you can install overly large injectors if needed for boosted or nitrous applications and still have great off idle performance.
What injectors do 2001 5.0 Explorer engines have OE?
That's correct. Thats why I gained a ton of low end on my sho. Our explorers run ev6 style.

That's correct. Thats why I gained a ton of low end on my sho. Our explorers run ev6 style.

Were you able to just install the new injectors and the ECU handle any tune adjustment or did you have to do anything else?

The 99+ injectors use different connectors, those are not just bolt in parts. I don't know what improvements exist beyond the 99-01 Explorer injectors, those have been installed in older Fords(by changing the electrical connectors of the vehicle).

But who knows if any will make a big difference. Your old Taurus probably had injectors that were very old and tired, a bit fouled etc. Any new injectors will make a big difference if the old ones are below par.

I found a set that was drop in. I forget how but it took a ton of research and time. I did have to go in my tweecer and change duty cycles but the only reason for that was I upgraded injector size. Had I not done that upgrade, no tune would be needed. Recommended but not necessary.

Yes, the fuel pressure is different also, but the stock levels don't bother most computers. Going bigger in the injector size does usually require new tuning. If you find out something is improved in later injectors from 2002 on, do post it up.

I feel I need to chime in here.
You will be VERY lucky to just be able to swap injectors (Even if they are the same cc's, but different manufacturer) without tuning the ecu. There is all kinds of data specific to a manufacturers injector that needs to be adjusted.

I have been struggling with what I think is an injector that leaks just a little bit on shut down when the fuel pressure is still high in the lines and the motor isn't running. Also, the injector data on my current injectors is suspect of not being accurate. I checked with Don Lasota (Full time EFI tuner that is top in his field), and he says if he has an option, its Injector Clinic injectors all the way as the supplied data is correct and saves him all kinds of misery in tuning. That's the road I'm headed down.

So, I'm going to say that EV-14 injectors are an upgrade in fuel atomization and spray pattern, but they may not work right (And you may not even know it). I would never switch to a different brand and/or injector size without checking fuel trims at different loads and rpm's, and use a wide band sensor to check open loop fueling. If you can confirm they are working properly, consider yourself lucky. If they are not, you are faced with having them tuned, or tuning them yourself. Either way is way more cash than your going to want to spend unless you are making other major modifications.

I just don't want someone thinking they are performing an upgrade, but are actually hurting themselves because the ecu isn't given the required information to make the injectors work properly.

Good injectors are expensive, and purchasing the tools to adjust the ECU, and check operation is time consuming (And carries a cost also).

Back