strange transmission problem grinds with load but not by hand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

strange transmission problem grinds with load but not by hand

enyawed

Reaction score
City, State
arlington, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
I have a 91 explorer 5 speed manual. So I was headed home and shifted from first to second and it just grinds. Tried putting it in 4wd with same results. Iput it on jack stands and pulled rear drive line the tranny will shift just fine and everything moves but once hubs are engaged the grinding comes back. I have the transfer case off now and will be pulling it apart. Just curious if anyone has had similar problems. Clutch looks a little worn but good. Am thinking chain or something gave out in transfer case. Or is there something in transmission that could cause this? Any thoughts? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just have basically the same problem. Let me know how that transfer case looks

Well I haven't had a chance to crack transfer case yet as I've had to focus on work and my chicken farm but I talked to a couple tranny guys and they are pretty sure it may be transfer case. I was wondering if it would be easy to rebuild it if its the clutch or I should just get a used/rebuilt one or if there are any upgrade options out there? My concern is that with the 4" lift I will possibly run into the same problem in a year or so? I have 31*10.5 tires now but possibly plan on larger tires in the near future and it will be used as farm truck and i do regularly tow smaller loads of 800-1500+ lbs. Any suggestions or advice? I am a mechanical person but am limited on funds. Thanks for any help you can give.

I would be very surprised if it's anything to do with the transfer case. There's no shifting that happens in there when you shift gears.

I would suspect the clutch or the clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinders are prone to failure. How does the clutch fluid look? Is it low? If it is it may be that your slave is leaking. though that doesn't necessarily explain why the problem goes away under when there's no load.

Could be the synchros as well.

I'm betting its your slave cylinder. Had a similar problem with my ranger.
Just add clutch fluid and see if it continues

Well plenty of fluid and slave cylinder and clutch works fine. Shifts just perfect and no noise. Lots of shaving in transfer case oil and a couple mechanic friends say that the clutch in the main shaft of the transfer case goes bad and has the same symptoms. Or the chain breaks. I had already eliminated slave cylinder and clutch as I could see it wasnt slipping under load. I am hoping to get a used or rebuilt one this weekend. May get lucky and find one at pic n pull.

Well plenty of fluid and slave cylinder and clutch works fine. Shifts just perfect and no noise. Lots of shaving in transfer case oil and a couple mechanic friends say that the clutch in the main shaft of the transfer case goes bad and has the same symptoms. Or the chain breaks. I had already eliminated slave cylinder and clutch as I could see it wasnt slipping under load. I am hoping to get a used or rebuilt one this weekend. May get lucky and find one at pic n pull.

A leaky slave wont make it slip. It'll keep the clutch from disengaging

Yeah I know unless it is sticking. Which is what I assumed you were alluding too as in my original post i said I could shift into all gears with no problem and the slave was working fine.

Back