New Head Unit Radio Pop

Rupert8

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Hello,

I just installed a new JVC head unit stereo on my 1992 Eddie Bauer. I get a loud speaker pop when switching between audio sources and also when switching the unit on and off.

I have tried resistors on the remote amp power cable and also a 5v voltage regulator. Nothing has worked although a 4.7k ohm resistor does prevent the amp from powering on. Any ideas here?

And a separate issue, the CD and radio sound fine but music playing through the aux input sounds distorted. Can anyone suggest a cause here?

Thanks un advance for the input...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the aux input distorion issue try turning down the device you are using.

To get rid of the pop noise, try a PAC SNI-1. I know it sounds strange, they are usually used for humming or whining... I've seen it work.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the volume at all levels but with no difference, unfortunately. Any other thoughts would be welcome... I have also tried different devices plugged in but the problem doesn't change.

I will try the suggested device to fix the pop noise to see if it works. Only $7 on Amazon so worth a go.

Thanks again.

try running a 22ga-18ga ground wire from a case screw on the back of the stereo to a nice clean ground point under the dash

I'd recommend bypassing the stock amp because it's not very good and the head unit itself would power the speakers far better.

Back