Want to upgrade my 97 Explorer radio | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to upgrade my 97 Explorer radio

I am not going to modify the dash. But thanks for the tip if I do change my mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol.. it's almost a 20 year old vehicle.. if you screw up, you can get a scrap yard bezel for like $2. But it's your choice. I get that you're preserving the quality interior.

I bought a radio from clutchfield.. Came with the by pass kit for the factory amp.

by passing the amp took the longest as a lot of interior panels need to be lifted up or taken off..
the radio came with a adapter connector that saved me from cutting any wires.
The radio has blue tooth and all kinds of ways to play music. Has flash drive, cd, SD memory card and blue tooth.. And it cuts the radio when a call comes in. even has a remote but dont see a use in it since everyt hing is right there.
sound is GREAT... daughter loves it..
the explorer is a 97 loaded limited awd 5.0 with 75k miles on it now since she been driving a lot in it,.. still has the factory firestone replacement tires on it...
wish it got better gas mileage. but the engine purrs and pulls strong..

ok.. Here they are.. Crutchfield sent everything I needed...
The fit is TIGHT...
kara%20radio_zpsmbzjh73o.jpg

kara%20radio%201_zpssrrtjsbz.jpg

If you wanted to keep the stock radio, i know it may be a little lat now, but there is a kit to have an iPod connector come out. It is a jumper harness in the back of the radio and when you plug it in it acts like a cd. I rain mine nicely up through the center council.

I needed blue tooth for calls and such.. It also has streaming music so no need in a Ipod deal.
Plus the radio was pretty weak even with the AMP. Now it is way better and if I wanted to return it to factory stock I can...
But dont see a need EVER.

Back