• Register Today It's free!

Dilemma 2016 or wait on 2017

jadam320

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I currently have an Edge Sport and have been looking forward to upgrading to the Explorer, but I am disappointed after reading that Sync3 won't be available on the 2016... My current lease isn't up for 10 months but I don't have negative equity in my car if I were to trade it in early.

Does anyone know if Ford consistently puts out the new Explorer around this time each year? If so I could hold on to my Edge and go month to month after my lease is up waiting on the 2017, or if it is going to take longer before they are available I could do a short term lease on the 2016.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently have an Edge Sport and have been looking forward to upgrading to the Explorer, but I am disappointed after reading that Sync3 won't be available on the 2016... My current lease isn't up for 10 months but I don't have negative equity in my car if I were to trade it in early.

Does anyone know if Ford consistently puts out the new Explorer around this time each year? If so I could hold on to my Edge and go month to month after my lease is up waiting on the 2017, or if it is going to take longer before they are available I could do a short term lease on the 2016.

I'm not sure if you would want to wait that long because do you really want to get the new software as it is just being released? There could be many bugs which will need to be worked out.

i would wait, even if the first release of sync 3 has bugs they will put out updates to fix them. Then you will have the latest and greatest.

And what makes you think that Sync3 won't come with its own problems? I think people are making too big of a deal about the latest MFT Sync 2. It's fine. I test drove a 2016 and the infotainment system was perfectly fine. I actually prefer the darker colors on that than the generic, hospital looking color scheme in sync3. Just my opinion though.

Let me help you...wait on the 2017

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
If you really want Sync 3, I would suggest waiting. My salesman told me that the only way to extend a current lease is to first have the actual order in for the new vehicle. I may be in somewhat of the same situation. My current lease ends April 1, 2017 and I'm very interested in the new Platinum model. I'm guessing my choices would be to lease an existing one off the lot or order a 2018 which would require extending my current lease 3 or 4 months.

Peter

I would never purchase the first year of a new body style again after my nightmare with my 2014 altima.

Even before that i was very hesitant...but do what ya gotta do and yes i know..every year has their own problems ect

BTW does the edge sport have 22 inch wheels? Hows the ride in that thing with that size??

I leased my 2011 Limited sight unseen, physically, except for pictures of it. No regrets. It was an excellent vehicle. The 2016 is not actually a new design. It is a 'refreshed' model with some minor changes. I suspect a complete redesign may be 3 or 4 years down the road. Mean while, the Explorer realized greater sales (24%) this past May compared to May 2014 so lack of Sync 3 doesn't appear to be a deterrent.

Peter

Definitely wait. You can not trust Ford to have it right at first release, or first year, and this is not limited to the software. They are good, but even my "old" 2015 Limited, came with several build quality issues that should not happen..after several years of opportunity to fix basic issues. I would never buy ANY Ford in the first build year... even if the 2016 is considered as just a "refreshed" model as some would say.

I would never purchase the first year of a new body style again after my nightmare with my 2014 altima.

Even before that i was very hesitant...but do what ya gotta do and yes i know..every year has their own problems ect

BTW does the edge sport have 22 inch wheels? Hows the ride in that thing with that size??

It is not a new body style, it is a mid cycle refresh. Two completely different things.

And what makes you think that Sync3 won't come with its own problems? I think people are making too big of a deal about the latest MFT Sync 2. It's fine. I test drove a 2016 and the infotainment system was perfectly fine. I actually prefer the darker colors on that than the generic, hospital looking color scheme in sync3. Just my opinion though.

Funny, I was thinking that and I'm glad you said it. I also prefer the current darker coloring. I saw the Sync3 at this year's Ecoboost Challenge in Philly as they had a station set up for it and I did not like the layout. It's very plain white blah... The one thing I will give it credit for is that it is much faster than the current system.

Hi guys!

I was picking up our new 2015 Mustang GT convertible tonight and the dealer I was at had a 2016 Explorer Platinum parked next to our new car. I was able to take a look along with a few others. Seeing the car in person versus photos was surprising. I like the rear end however the front was a little too boxy.

Regardless, the '16 Explorer was stunning, but without any car payments I am sure our current rides will suit us just fine! I think anyone who is lucky enough to buy one will be quite thrilled.

Yes my Edge has the 22's. I have liked it a lot and it drives great.. Ford is making some money on them though. My wheels were stolen last December and it cost my insurance something like $7500 to replace them..

This is what mine looks like except I have the premium package with the panoramic moon roof so the top of the car is all black. It's a nice contrast between the silver and the black:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2013-Ford-Edge-Sport-t43486#listing=104468856

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
If you really want Sync 3, I would suggest waiting. My salesman told me that the only way to extend a current lease is to first have the actual order in for the new vehicle. I may be in somewhat of the same situation. My current lease ends April 1, 2017 and I'm very interested in the new Platinum model. I'm guessing my choices would be to lease an existing one off the lot or order a 2018 which would require extending my current lease 3 or 4 months.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I found a dealership yesterday close to where I work that had a fully loaded black sport on the lot, and it was parked next to a 2015 black sport, so it was good to see them side by side... I was also thinking about going with the 2015 short term with all the good deals on them, but after seeing them side by side my mind was made up that I wanted the 2016.. It looks great, and I also like how they have integrated more buttons into the dash. I am not sure if this is new to the 2016 or not but its a big improvement over my Edge which is almost all touch screen.

So I had my dealer order me one.. He said he put a rush on it and it would be 3 or 4 weeks, we'll see. Not sure if he gets priority because he is a dealer or not, I hope it doesn't take 12 weeks like some on here have reported it taking... It's a little disappointing because the one I saw was exactly what I have coming but being that supply is so limited now my dealer said he couldn't trade for it.

.......I also like how they have integrated more buttons into the dash. I am not sure if this is new to the 2016 or not but its a big improvement over my Edge which is almost all touch screen.
Yes, the buttons have returned for the 2016 model year. I think a 3 - 4 week period is rather optimistic on a new order. I think 6 - 8 weeks would be more realistic.

Peter

Yes, the buttons have returned for the 2016 model year. I think a 3 - 4 week period is rather optimistic on a new order. I think 6 - 8 weeks would be more realistic.

Peter

That is what I was initially thinking.. But I didn't place the order in my name, the dealership just ordered one on my behalf and I have first dibs on it.. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not..

I am going to give the other dealership that has it in stock a chance to match the deal but if history is any indicator the guy I am using is normally tough to beat.

Yeah I would agree on 6-8 unless it was a vehicle already in their allocation to the dealership.

As to first year vehicles - I've owned 2 1/2 2001 Ford Escape (first year), 2006 Explorer (the 1/2 as this was the major refeshening) and a 2011 KIA Optima SX - and honestly no real regrets on new to market vehicles. Some have had some bad luck, but no in my experience.

Good news. The dealer that had what I wanted matched my other offer.. Paperwork done and picking it up in a couple hours!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back