• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Wifi

Kailua Ford Guy

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT. It has the Sync and Navigation and the system also has Wifi. How does this work? My dealer has been unable to explain it to me and I've spent time trying to figure it out.

The best I can figure is that it needs another wifi source connected to the Explorer and then it allows other devices to be connected to the vehicle? What value is that? I have internet on my phone however it does not work as a wifi hotspot. If I bring a wireless hotspot into the vehicle why would I need the vehicle to work as a hotspot, kind of redundant?

Someone please explain if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What value is that?

It's worthless. If you want a hotspot for passengers, you'd be better off getting a JetPack from Verizon, et al. At least, you could use it anywhere.

Ford needs to get off the stick and up the game on connectivity, properly fire-walled that is.

Thanks for the reply, at least i'm not crazy. I previously had a 2010 Taurus SHO and had the Sync system which I liked. I was looking forward to a much cooler tech experience with my 2015 Explorer but the Sync system is only a bit better and seems WAY behind for technology and connectivity in 2015. Very disappointing.

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT. It has the Sync and Navigation and the system also has Wifi. How does this work?
My dealer has been unable to explain it to me and I've spent time trying to figure it out.
Aloha neighbor! Is Windward Ford your dealer? I had two very good experiences when it was owned by McKenna, but fear they might have cleaned house before the transition. One was for spare PATS keys, the other for a full transmission fluid service at half the price of Cutter or Honolulu Ford. Interesting to see Gill Automotive was recently featured on CNBC's "Blue Collar Millionaires".

The Internet Configuration screen on MFT is a bit of a misleading screen.

It shows you the system has the ability to be used as a WiFi redistribution modem inside the vehicle. Using, of all things, a USB cellular modem. Over the years I still have yet to see someone making use of this functionality especially with every smartphone being a hotspot.

The WiFI will connect to your WiFi or another WiFi but that connection allows for ZERO functionality. Again another promise that was undelivered when all hell broke loose and stability was all that mattered.

Very frustrating considering how well executed GM's in vehicle OnStar 4G LTE WiFi works. Its the standard now, Ford has to catch up. I just dont see the hardware in SYNC3 that's going to allow Ford to catch up fast enough.

It also supports tethering over Bluetooth for sharing your phone's internet connection. I have successfully set it up and testing showed the throughput at about 0bps.

brought back an old saying

yeap, yesterdays technology today, Microsoft and Ford :)

c3d6790d6373627b1e8dd1234e339fbc.jpg

:D

Ford needs to get off the stick and up the game on connectivity, properly fire-walled that is.

Not to be defending Ford or Micro$oft, but I think the last part of your sentence is exactly why Sync MFT has not seen the updated it 1st promissed.

I think M$ worned Ford about the possibilities of being hacked and the risks of their self parking and driver assist being used to put divers in danger. So instead of the major updates with all the app conections we just got minor bug fixes and the like.

Look at what has been happening, Dodge and Chevy just had their systems hacked. Even Tesla was hacked, and in my eyes if Tesla can get hacked then Ford and M$ can for sure.

I actually wish that the manufactures would just install common connection points in the spot and leave a 2 din hole where the audio system goes. This would leave it up to the consumer to purchase or add what they want for a device, might purchase ford or might purchase kenwood or pioneer. this would also mean that the manufacture could not keep adding stuff that prevents a consumer from swapping it out. It would be virtually impossible to swap the sync system out without major functionality loss with the way they have integrated some of the sensors and heater controls.

I actually wish that the manufactures would just install common connection points in the spot and leave a 2 din hole where the audio system goes. This would leave it up to the consumer to purchase or add what they want for a device, might purchase ford or might purchase kenwood or pioneer. this would also mean that the manufacture could not keep adding stuff that prevents a consumer from swapping it out. It would be virtually impossible to swap the sync system out without major functionality loss with the way they have integrated some of the sensors and heater controls.

That is a grand idea but it would make too much sence to do that, it is a notion I have long given up on. Back when I purchesed my Honda Accord in 2002 I know then that the future of aftermarket head units were going to be a thing of the past. Even way back then Honda has started to incorperate the HVAC controls into the radio desplay screen. So I was stuck with the stock unit for all these years and had I know it was the case I would have ponied up for Honda's Navigation as I could not simply install a new head unit.

I think they can take it one step futher then you have. I think they should all have capasitive touch screen in the center stack, but each model can have its own sized screen to best fit the design. The item that will be changable would be a box behind the dash that hosts the CPU/software which runs the system. So Ford and MS can team up to give you one interface but if you want to change to the box to a Kenwood/Garmen, or a Pioneer/Tomtom, Alpine/LG, or a an Apple, or Google, or you can. The amp would be seperate so the actual sound system would be the same but your interface could vary depending on what your preference is. All the HVAC controls would also be a seperate box but with a standard comunication so they too can me incorperated into the interface. Each unit can have a checklist of options like AUX input, USB, Rear Camera, or dual zone/single zone/standard AC can be set if already present in the car. Other items like Bluetooth, Wifi, Radar detectors, and Satilite Radio can be added on as part of the box or as a seperate module if the CPU box is made to add extra inputs.

Not to be defending Ford or Micro$oft, but I think the last part of your sentence is exactly why Sync MFT has not seen the updated it 1st promissed.

I think M$ worned Ford about the possibilities of being hacked and the risks of their self parking and driver assist being used to put divers in danger. So instead of the major updates with all the app conections we just got minor bug fixes and the like.

Look at what has been happening, Dodge and Chevy just had their systems hacked. Even Tesla was hacked, and in my eyes if Tesla can get hacked then Ford and M$ can for sure.

You are exactly right. I was at Blackhat 2015 and DC 23, and car hacking was the #1 focus. MS and Ford are trying to determine the solution, and consequently have been throttling the updates. How quickly they can patch this issue is anyone's guess... But in the meantime, I've disabled everything I can (Bluetooth, etc) since I got my Ex.

What I can say is that it was definitely educational and eye-opening seeing how they breached various car systems--sadly, most of which I can't disclose here.

Anyone have any experience with ATT's ZTE Mobley yet?

Mark

I would be leery of anything that requires plugging it into the OBDII Port without a clear purpose.

Also, you probably want a device like this switched off when the vehicle is off. I remember early on when Progressive started handing out OBDII data loggers to monitor driving habits, their devices would actually drain some batteries causing the vehicle to require a jumpstart.

You're not the only person disappointed with the latest generation of Explorer. I'm continually annoyed by the seat crease under my left leg and I'm the only one on the road that doesn't think my headlights are adequate. I struggle to see while every third car flashes me thinking my brights are on...ugh...

Back