• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
So I just did the 5.0, correct way through the PCV line not the brake booster lol. No smoke. I've done it on so many vehicles, and not once have I ever got even a hint of smoke, from a 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion to a Viper nada, not even the 14' Explorer Sport just got rid of had any smoke.

So why do some smoke like crazy like you were in the middle of a raid and tear gas went off, and others not a hint. I've heard Fords for whatever reason never really smoke, but other vehicles in my experience as well across different makes. Even on boat outboards, hardly anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the engine ingests the Seafoam, do you turn it off and let it set for about 20-30 minutes? Or do you just let it run though and keep the engine running the entire time?

Yeah I turn them off and leave them sit. Been using seafoam for over 10 years and never got a smoke show or really anything like some seem to experience.

That's really weird, I've never done a car and NOT gotten smoke...

My Grand Prix GTP smoked a ton and so did my 4.0 explorer.

I did my Explorer through the brake booster line, full temp, whole can, induced it pretty slow and steady until like a third of a can was left and dumped it, which stalls it. Sit for 15-20 minutes, go fire it up and whoom!

Then I go for a drive and hammer on it until it stops smoking.

That's really weird, I've never done a car and NOT gotten smoke...

My Grand Prix GTP smoked a ton and so did my 4.0 explorer.

I did my Explorer through the brake booster line, full temp, whole can, induced it pretty slow and steady until like a third of a can was left and dumped it, which stalls it. Sit for 15-20 minutes, go fire it up and whoom!

Then I go for a drive and hammer on it until it stops smoking.

That's how I do it except I leave it soak a bit longer.

I've had a head off after and have seen how it cleans the carbon right off.

Yeah I turn them off and leave them sit. Been using seafoam for over 10 years and never got a smoke show or really anything like some seem to experience.

The smoke comes from the seafoam soaked carbon breaking of and burning.
The medium that carries the active ingredients is light oil. It clings to the carbon anf when it burns it's what most of the smoke is.

I've heard tell that if you have no carbon build up to hold the oil you won't get a smoke show.

The smoke comes from the seafoam soaked carbon breaking of and burning.
The medium that carries the active ingredients is light oil. It clings to the carbon anf when it burns it's what most of the smoke is.

I've heard tell that if you have no carbon build up to hold the oil you won't get a smoke show.
Oh I know, just somehow all my vehicles, friends vehicles, even a few neighbors that use it... not a single one gets any smoke? I live on the water and a few of us use it on the boat motors, hardly anything, like a very slight puff if that.

I mean I still have the 5.0 Mountaineer all these years later, its a 2000, you'd think there'd be carbon build up by now lol. I've seafoam before on it, been some years but that was through the brake booster line (no smoke), b/c until a couple months ago when I replaced the PCV I never knew where the f' that thing was nor what hose.... I just grabbed one and luckily pulled the right one out haha. So ran the Seafoam directly in the hose.

Just crazy b/c you always read on the forums or just check YT and all you see is an insane smoke smoke, sometimes even on newer vehicles.

I seafoamed my 98 SOHC a year or two back through the brake booster and got gobs of smoke! Did it help? Meh. Didn't really notice and difference before or after. Probably won't do it again as it is an expense with little or no marginal value, and potentially significant harm if done improperly.

man, my 5L smoked so bad cars had to slow down on the road in front of my house. my dog freaked. it was amazing. my wife said it was so cool watching me appear as the smoke cleared around the truck, she literally couldn't see the truck or me for all the smoke around it. laughed my ass off.

I seafoamed my 98 SOHC a year or two back through the brake booster and got gobs of smoke! Did it help? Meh. Didn't really notice and difference before or after. Probably won't do it again as it is an expense with little or no marginal value, and potentially significant harm if done improperly.

You don't always notice a difference, it could be 5% and the butt dyno isn't calibrated that well.

It makes much more difference if it's cleaned out carbon around the rings.

But the best it can ever do is return it to normal.

Oh I know, just somehow all my vehicles, friends vehicles, even a few neighbors that use it... not a single one gets any smoke? I live on the water and a few of us use it on the boat motors, hardly anything, like a very slight puff if that.

The common denominator is you, but I can't see anything that you would be doing wrong.

Maybe because you live near water and there's a lot of moisture in the air it tends to keep the upper cylinder clean, much like water injection?

But seeing as though Seafoam like products were developed for maintenance of 2 stroke marine engines I can't really see it.

Did you by chance dump it into the block through the PCV hole instead of the vacuum line? I would suggest an oil change if that's the case. I guess its better than filling up the brake booster with seafoam.

Did you by chance dump it into the block through the PCV hole instead of the vacuum line? I would suggest an oil change if that's the case. I guess its better than filling up the brake booster with seafoam.
Who, me? No I took the PCV out and ran a funnel and line into the PCV hose.

Back