• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Injector O-Ring

Tyleryac

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I seem to be having a small leak from my fuel injector o-rings on top of the engine. I'll take the truck down to my mechanic. Is this a big job, and should I expect to pay a lot?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The intake manifold needs to be removed then it's pretty straight forward. I would expect to pay in the $250 range.

I just spoke to my mechanic and he said that it wouldn't be the o-ring. It would be the fuel injector itself that's leaking. Does that sound right?

I'll snap a picture tonight and upload it.

If they have been removed before then they can easily be damaged upon installation. I had it happen to me once but I noticed it seeping when I primed the fuel rail before I started it. They need to be lightly lubed before installing. If you install them dry they can pinch and fold on themself. I'm pretty sure this was your previous "valve cover" leak and it was misdiagnosed.

My guess is its the lower oring. If it was your upper oring or the injector itself you should see a distinct spray.
It's not a hard job to replace them if you wanna try DIY first.
Go ahead and replace the intake manifold gaskets while you have it off.

I just spoke to my mechanic and he said that it wouldn't be the o-ring. It would be the fuel injector itself that's leaking. Does that sound right?

No, not really. It is much more likely to be an o-ring than the injector itself.

I am almost certain the 4.0L and 4.6L injectors are the same size, so the o-ring should be #203 in size. A 25 pack of them is ~$6 from McMaster, as opposed to about a buck a piece if you buy the FelPro kit.

fuel or water?

. . . A 25 pack of them is ~$6 from McMaster, as opposed to about a buck a piece if you buy the FelPro kit.

Are the ones from McMaster designed for immersion in fuel or water? If fuel, I'll buy a set for spares.

Are the ones from McMaster designed for immersion in fuel or water? If fuel, I'll buy a set for spares.

You want viton o-rings. As long as they are #203 and made of viton, you can get them anywhere you like.

Back