Am I being too picky? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I being too picky?

screamercy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Went for an oil change today at my Ford Dealership. My rep asked me if I wanted my car washed after my service and I said no thank you for 2 reasons.

1) I don't want to wait longer than I have to.
2) I don't get my vehicle machine washed, only hand washed.
3) I have someone coming to my home to detail my car this Sunday.

Number 2 is the main reason. Those machines leave swirl scratches.

I did not notice they washed it until I was on my way home when I cracked my windows and seen the top of them were wet. Then when I pulled in the driveway some of the machine cloth arm things were stuck on my hitch cover.

This sounds awful complaining about something so small when there are actual real problems in the world. I go out of my way to spend extra money to have a good car wash for as long as I own the car only to have my streak ruined by the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been discussed on here recently. You are not being picky. Many on here, including myself, bypass the "courtesy" wash - strong sarcasm quotes around courtesy.

My dealer hand washes all the cars and dries them afterwards. Have never had an issue with their work. They should respect your wish in this matter. It may have been that the word didn't get passed down. It happens.

Peter

I would let it go this time and politely tell the service writer/rep next time in a firm but courteous way.

"By the way, please no car wash. I spend my own money on having my ride detailed. Thank you for the offer, but as a customer please respect my wishes this time. Last time it seems this didn't get communicated effectively. If it happens again, I will take my business to another establishment that will respect my request. Again, thank you for the offer, but I firmly decline."

mf-140214-246487030411076960.jpg

I have gone as far as to put a post it that says "DO NOT WASH" in the speedometer

I understand the declining the wash. I used to decline the wash on my Infiniti. The swirl marks really bothered me on that car. The dealers should know better, frankly.

My 550i Msport is meticulously maintained and free of swirls. I always tell the service center not to wash the car and I always get a sideways look. One time they washed it against my wishes, and the paint was a swirled mess. I told them that the time it would take to correct the paint would be 6-9 hours. I had a high end detail shop give me a quote to correct the paint and demanded the service center reimburse me for it which they agreed to do. So I ended up with a few hundred bucks, and did the work myself.

Whenever you give them the keys and tell them "don't wash it," you have to understand there's still a pretty high chance they'll wash it anyway. That's just life. If you really care, then you need to take proactive steps like taping a big piece of paper on the windshield "DO NOT WASH". They won't be offended.

But I'm with you -- I never let them wash my car. I just got my EX Sport last week and told them 10 times "Don't wash it!".

I've left a note on the mirror personally and will with the new ride. The old white one was much easier to hide any swirls but this one, not so much.

Yep, notes. I actually tape it to the steering wheel and outside driver window.

Not just dealer, but body shop as well. They always wash before fixing a dent. I tell them just hand wash the area that needs to be fixed. Body shops really like your car looking good after fixing it. They will wash and and do a quick detail spray to make it pop. Still don't trust them, so I plaster don't wash all over the car. My Saab is jet black and I take an orbital buffer to it once year and hand wash. Looks great. One dirty microfiber and it is toast.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Next time I go to dealer for anything I will hang something from my mirror or put a note on the dash saying do not wash.

I talked to the service department manager, turns out my rep had written on my tag not to wash but it was the valet person who did not read it. Manager offered me a free hand wash and detailing for the inconvenience by some company they use, which I will be spending on my fiancees 2008 escape :D

this thread.........LOL

Back