05 Headliner starting to come down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Headliner starting to come down

Sweersa

Reaction score
City, State
Marne, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I was upset to discover after a really rainy day the headliner started to come down a bit near the visors on both the passenger and driver side of my Explorer. I don't think any moisture got in, as I didn't feel any dampness or stains.

The weird thing is, if I gently push and massage it back, it stays up, and looks perfect but will start to wrinkle the next day so I have to do it again. The headliner is otherwise in excellent shape, so I'd hate to have it all replaced, unless it gets worse.

Anyone have any tips on fixing this? I see they have spray adhesive products, but I think it is more for re-applying an entirely new headliner.

Thanks,

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the same thing about 2 years ago. I had the windshield replaced about 4 or 5 years ago and I think they removed some of the seal around there. anyway, the headliner started to droop right behind the visor on both sides and was about 8 inches across and 4-5 inches deep.

I went to autozone and bought the 3M headliner adhesive and just followed the directions. you basically spray each side and press together. I think it took about 20 minutes to do both sides.

It's been 2 years and it's holding just fine. It hasn't progressed either, which was my main concern. It looks a little funny in a couple of spots near the windshield where the headliner got saturated, but it's only a spot about the size of a dime and it's hidden behind the visor anyway, so I don't care.

It's a good fix for $6........

Mine did the same thing about 2 years ago. I had the windshield replaced about 4 or 5 years ago and I think they removed some of the seal around there. anyway, the headliner started to droop right behind the visor on both sides and was about 8 inches across and 4-5 inches deep.

I went to autozone and bought the 3M headliner adhesive and just followed the directions. you basically spray each side and press together. I think it took about 20 minutes to do both sides.

It's been 2 years and it's holding just fine. It hasn't progressed either, which was my main concern. It looks a little funny in a couple of spots near the windshield where the headliner got saturated, but it's only a spot about the size of a dime and it's hidden behind the visor anyway, so I don't care.

It's a good fix for $6........

My windshield appears to be non-OEM, so I bet it was replaced in the past. My issue is exactly as you described with your Explorer.

Thank you for all the tips! I'll look for that product the next time I'm at that store.

Just do a Google search for headliner repair in your area. You can get it completely replaced for $150 or less with a guarantee. Mine only cost $120 and looks as good as new.

Just do a Google search for headliner repair in your area. You can get it completely replaced for $150 or less with a guarantee. Mine only cost $120 and looks as good as new.

That's a lot cheaper than I thought. If I can't fix it with the 3M stuff, I'll for sure consider having it replaced. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Had the same issue on my passenger side right behind the visor on my '05. I used Elmers craft spray adhesive and it worked well. I've also used this to recover 3 out of 4 console lids on my 2nd Gens and it held up very good on those too.

Wrecking yard headliners are usually less than $20. $14 in Atlanta. Might be able to use one from a 2002 - 2009 or so.

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Drooping down from windshield, about 8 inches across and 4 inches in. When I press it back up, it stays for days. 3m spray stuff, here I come!

I used that 3M spray (rated for fabric) today and it looks like hell. The stuff was really sticky, and it looks uneven. The area where the adhesive is looks darker too. Hopefully it lightens up as it dries.

I'm probably going to opt to have the entire headliner replaced in the near future.

I was at an Auto Interior shop getting a new seat bottom when I heard the guy say, "Don't use glue." So I went right home and used spray glue that we use in air conditioning duct work. Phooey! It fell back down. Sprayed it again. It fell back down. So I drove to the auto interior place and he blew about 30 staples into it for $5. He said the air stapler is a must because the hand powered staplers rebound.

So, I made it ugly with the wrong glue, but the sun visor covers a lot of sins. If I ever care, the price for a whole headliner is really reasonable at $100 to $150.

I was at an Auto Interior shop getting a new seat bottom when I heard the guy say, "Don't use glue." So I went right home and used spray glue that we use in air conditioning duct work. Phooey! It fell back down. Sprayed it again. It fell back down. So I drove to the auto interior place and he blew about 30 staples into it for $5. He said the air stapler is a must because the hand powered staplers rebound.

So, I made it ugly with the wrong glue, but the sun visor covers a lot of sins. If I ever care, the price for a whole headliner is really reasonable at $100 to $150.

This is so true! Mine wasn't great looking, but it doesn't droop and it hasn't spread, so I'm happy. Somebody really has to be looking for problems to notice the issue behind the visors.....

I just ended up throwing some cool bumper stickers up there to hide my horrible glue spray job. It doesn't look bad, if one even notices them at all. I'll snag some pictures of it this weekend.

It is not that hard to recover yourself. I bought a 2003 Sport Trac and did have to take the rear window out but with an Explorer it should come right out the back. The most difficult part is cleaning the old liner off. Some lacquer thinner did the trick along with some green scotch brite pads.

Since I'll probably have to have my entire headliner replaced, I opted for the sticker method. Most people don't even notice.

9QIdFn.jpg

UBEBUj.jpg

SuwU1G.jpg

Back