Driver Seat and Foot Well Complaints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat and Foot Well Complaints

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
I've been reading a lot of reviews over the comfort of the drivers seat: too contoured, too hard, too short for thighs, etc. As well as issues around the left foot space while driving and you can't stretch out.

Going for a test drive this weekend, but wanted to hear what others though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well granted, what you're describing can easily be considered subjective. That said, I personally find the Explorer seats to be incredibly comfortable. I had a 2011 Exp as a rental when they first came out, and just recently bought a CPO 2013. I will admit, I'm personally more of a Sport seat fan compared to a flat seat (my previous 2 cars were a 2010 and 2013 Infiniti G37 with the Sport Seats), but i've been a big fan of the Explorer's seats thus far. I purchased my Explorer ~ 3hours away from home and on the road trip back they were VERY supportive. They've been very comfy for around town driving as well. FWIW, my wife has commented the same to me, and she is not as much a fan of the Sporty seat style. The only thing I can suggest is to see what you think when you go for your test drive. Hope that helps!

I think you've all ready got what to look out for but it should come as no shocker that it's all about personal preference. Of the ones you listed above, the only issue I have is with the left foot space. My buddy whose wife also has a 5th gen is probably a good half foot taller than me doesn't think it's an issue. I'm 5'10". My wife is 5'9" and while she also cannot stretch out, she prefers to have her left leg supported. Go figure.

The seats are very comfortable for me but the left foot area falls short.

i am 6' 7" with a 13 shoe and the left foot area is always awkward for me to put my foot at.

I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'4" so we don't really have issues with room. My only complaint that I have is how far away the driver's armrest is which is a complaint that has been brought up before. Going to an ATM, I always have to open the door to stretch out because there is such a gap between the seat and the door.

I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'4" so we don't really have issues with room. My only complaint that I have is how far away the driver's armrest is which is a complaint that has been brought up before. Going to an ATM, I always have to open the door to stretch out because there is such a gap between the seat and the door.

agreed - really the only ergonomic gripe I could muster

We have a 2016 Platinum and it is very comfortable to drive for long distances. I am not sure about the other trim levels, but the Platinum has adjustable pedal height, adjustable steering column (up/down & in/out) as well as the adjustable seat. That's a lot of ergonomic control. One should be able to find a comfortable configuration between the three...

Randall

left foot leg room seems to be just a hair limited so it is harder to extend your leg than the right side. I usually get a creaky left knee on long trips. I don't have an issue with the room for your left foot on the floor/dead pedal issues. Seats are very good but left arm rest is too far away to be used comfortably. Agree with others: unless you are a giant, you have to stretch your left elbow out like a chicken wing to reach the driver's arm rest. It's not terrible though - just not as comfortable as some other cars. I have a 2015 Sport.

2011 xlt cloth seats are uncomfortable to me.

2014 limited & 2016 sport are very comfortable to me.

No issues with the footwell.

I am very happy with the seats. We've made 2 trips from DC to Miami without complaints.

But, I have experienced some left knee issues as well as foot and ankle discomfort while driving. However, I have adjusted the seat, pedal and steering wheel to find comfortable positions for the drive. Problem solved.

The huge gap between the seat and door is just crazy. Makes it harder to get in and out, and uncomfortable to use the armrest. But the seats are great IMHO.

the taller you are the weirder the seats and seating position feels, depending on the dash you might not be able to see the bottom of the speedometer also. Theyre basically revisions of early Taurus seats. I'd give the feeling of the Explorer driver seating position similar to sitting in a desk if you want to get picky, you would get used to it I'd guess

My wife is just 5ft and has no complain about the seats. She had to get used to driving position; it feels strange compared to any other car we have owned or driven. The space between the door and the seats causes that she cannot rest her arm on the door during longer drives. Despite this, she finds it very comfortable, and enjoys driving her car.

I am 6.3ft and find the driver seat a bit on the short and narrow side, but its still comfortable on long drives. The left side of the foot well is a problem for me, it would be so much better if there was more space. I have tried the rear seat too, no complains with the leg space, but unfortunately the seats are to soft on the sides, giving you the feeling that glide off it towards the door-side. This is again related to the large space between the door and the seats.

I just test drove an Explorer Platinum the other day. I definitely noticed the seats were short, and narrow for the firm wing side. Problem is on a test drive its not long enough to really see what the feeling/impact is. I also noticed that with the ebrake on the left side sticking out so far, there is really no room to stretch or lean my foot evenly. I'm 6'2. I found my foot resting at a weird angle that I think might ultimately hurt on longer drives/

I also noticed that with the ebrake on the left side sticking out so far, there is really no room to stretch or lean my foot evenly.

Can't understand why Ford hasn't gone with an electric e-brake with a switch on the console, especially on the Platinum. Way to cheap out.

I'm 6'1", 280, 13 foot. The dead pedal isn't usable, but other than that, no complaints at all. I was good with my 13 sport, but the seats on the 16 platinum are even better.

I'm not a small guy 6'2" 250 size 12 shoe and I have a 2016 XLT with cloth seats. The seat itself is comfortable enough but it should be bigger my only gripe with it is I wish it was longer could be wider but if I had to choose I'd pick longer. Arm rest are perfect for me though putting my arm on the top of the door with window open isn't really comfortable. The footwell is horrendous I mean have u seen how small the mat is when you remove it to vacuum. There is no way for me to position my left foot comfortably, I alternate between the dead pedal until my ankle hurts then I fold it underneath the seat for 10 minutes then I lean it against the door for 10 minutes. Another issue I have is I wear wide construction redwing boots and when I pivot my foot from gas to brake my foot hits on the top I think it's a hvac pipe. Took me a few days but I can brake hitting the right 1/3 of the brake pedal without hitting anything. I read somewhere that ford saved a boatload of money by only making a few universal seats which they mount on rails, this would explain why we have seats probably made for a fusion which are too small for this truck. The footwell I don't understand but allot of American vehicles that I've driven are bad at this sucks because it is a comfortable car almost everything is padded and soft to the touch.

Can't understand why Ford hasn't gone with an electric e-brake with a switch on the console, especially on the Platinum. Way to cheap out.

I had a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu as a company car and it had an electric emergency brake. I was always forgetting to turn it off when I backed out of the drive way. The 2014 Malibu changed to a manual E brake.

I am 6'4'', 225 and I find the seat comfortable and have no issues with leg room. I have made 2 ten hour round trips in the last month and my Explorer is very comfortable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No issues with comfort of the seat, but the position of the left foot is the worst of any vehicle I've owned. Also, exit because of how the foot well is structured is definitely different than any of the trucks I've owned, I find I need to twist out of the vehicle rather than step out.

Back