All doors won't lock or unlock using keypad or remote orbutton | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All doors won't lock or unlock using keypad or remote orbutton

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Hello all. My Explorer's doors won't lock or unlock whether I use the remote or the door button or the keypad. Changed the battery on the remote but still can't get any doors to unlock or lock. Even the panic alarm won't go off from the remote. The rear glass won't unlock from the remote either. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another case of, "Check for a broken ground wire in the drivers door hinge area".

I thought so too. I've had broken wires in the boot in the past and fixed them. The fact that the panic button didn't work didn't seem related to a broken wire.

It is possible to have two things fail.

In the car I bought, the drivers window motor was bad, there was a broken ground wire in the drivers door hinge area, the dome lights stayed on, the volume control on the radio only increased loudness, the thermostat housing leaked, the ball joints were without rubber booties, the tires were bald, the moon roof wouldn't open (and it leaked), The outdoor air flap in the air conditioner had fallen down, the flapper that chooses dashboard vents or floor vents didn't work, the rear A/C wouldn't change temperatures, one puddle light was burnt out, the turn signals didn't flash, the gas gauge frequently got stuck on, "empty", the car smelled of dog so bad it would drive you out on a hot day, the windshield wiper cowling allowed rain to puddle on top of the engine, the battery failed in a week, the window lock button and both sun visors were missing, the transmission drain plug leaked, it only had one ignition key, and nobody knew the keypad entry code.

Consider yourself lucky if your car only has two problems.

I have this same problem in the 05 XLT. When I shut off the car the door locks won't work from the inside. They sometimes work from the key fob, but not always. Also, the dome light stays on for 15min until it times out. Sounds like the probable issue is the broken ground wire in the drivers door hinge area.

I pulled the boot back and tugged on each wire in both directions. None gave way. I have previously repaired two wires on there and their repairs are still good. Still the same symptoms as in the thread title. I may not have noticed it before but the door ajar indicator is on and with the key out if you open the door, the window switches and radio still work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Back