Electronic Steering Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electronic Steering Control

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
good day, I encountered a steering problem on my 2014 explorer sport. It got very tight/heavy.

The dealership reluctantly changed the electronic steering control (ESC) and some improvement was felt.

However it is still tight/heavy.

Question: can the ESC be adjusted, since it is computerized?

Thanks
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paul, I found this in an Internet search;

Unlike a hydraulic power steering system that continuously drives a hydraulic pump, the efficiency advantage of an EPS system is that it powers the EPS motor only when necessary. This results in reduced vehicle fuel consumption compared to the same vehicle with an HPS system. These systems can be tuned by simply modifying the software controlling the ECU. This provides a unique and cost effective opportunity to adjust the steering "feel" to suit the automotive model class. An additional advantage of EPS is its ability to compensate for one-sided forces such as a flat tire. It is also capable of steering in emergency maneuvers in conjunction with the electronic stability control.
http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/auto/systems/ep_steering.html

When they mention adjusting the steering "feel", I'm guessing that is not done for individual drivers but for that particular model across the board.
Are you sure that you didn't have a power steering failure and that you experience just manual steering?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...11-2014-explorer-power-steering-issue.320445/

Peter

Thanks Peter, the steering "feel" is to tight. Adjusting the computer is interesting. Do you think a dealership will tweak the computer to suit my driving style? Right now I cannot turn the wheel with one finger..

My 15 Mustang has a steering adjustment dial. I like the sport setting, but the cars steering could also be set to comfort and/or factory normal.

I don't know if they can/will do any tuning for the steering 'feel'. It has never come up before in this Forum. I think you may have another problem if the steering is as you say.

Peter

The steering unit alone cannot be adjusted. It would be my assumption that something else is wrong that is causing your concern. The dealership should be able to return your vehicle to it's original configuration ie. assist at the level you remember it. You will need to be insistent that the level of assist that you feel now is not what you had before the failure of the rack assy. Good luck

Back