Steering wheel lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel lighting

Skywalkerlt5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport,Smoked Quartz
2017 sport, l have no lighting of my steering wheel controls. Is there an adjustment somewhere? Can't find anything in the owners manual . All other instrument lights are working normally.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2017 sport, l have no lighting of my steering wheel controls. Is there an adjustment somewhere? Can't find anything in the owners manual . All other instrument lights are working normally.
Thanks.
I don't think there is a specific control for the steering wheel lighting. When you say "other instrument lights" does that include the lighting of the door switches? I think there is a control on the lower left of the dash which can brighten or dim the dash lights. Have you checked the Manual to see if there is a fuse for that?

Peter

I'm looking at diagrams for a 2011-2015 and it shows that one fuse controls all interior instrument illumination.

You may have a bad clockspring. This is the device between the column and the wheel that allows electrical contact as you turn the wheel.

It's a wound ribbon cable that winds and unwinds with steering wheel movement. If this was overturned at all during vehicle assembled process it can break the internal wires.

I've seen cars come off the line with air bag codes, horns blaring, steering controls not work, etc because someone didn't center the clockspring before installing a steering wheel.

Dealer should be able to figure this out fast.

Thanks for the replays. Off to the dealer I guess. I will report back when they figure it out.
Interesting that it is only the lighting at issue. The buttons all function correctly.
Rob

Well problem solved. Luckily I tried a couple of things before heading to the dealer. Seems there is a problem with the operator memory...... Mine! At some point I must have dimmed the instrument lights right to minimum....which on this vehicle totally cuts the steering wheel lighting and didn't notice it till last night. Glad I sorted that out before pulling into the dealer. Thanks again for the replies and my apologies for any one time I may have wasted.
Rob

Don't worry too much about your memory, it will get worse.

Just 2 days ago I drove my 16 XLT for over 5 hours in the dark and right now I couldn't tell you if the steering wheel controls were lit up or not, I can vaguely remember that there were lights on the lock and window controls but to make sure I am going to go outside later tonight and see what lights up and what doesn't. That is if I can remember to check those things.

Well problem solved. Luckily I tried a couple of things before heading to the dealer. Seems there is a problem with the operator memory...... Mine! At some point I must have dimmed the instrument lights right to minimum....which on this vehicle totally cuts the steering wheel lighting and didn't notice it till last night. Glad I sorted that out before pulling into the dealer. Thanks again for the replies and my apologies for any one time I may have wasted.
Rob
What exactly did you do to fix the issue?? I been with the same problem for a while now

What exactly did you do to fix the issue?? I been with the same problem for a while now
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on April 6, 2018. I doubt he is following this thread any longer.

Peter

Back