Acceleration with AC on vs off (sounds different) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration with AC on vs off (sounds different)

sumzxr7

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT - Magnetic
..2016 XLT FWD - now I know with AC on you loose a bit of power - that I have no issues with....the Explorer just sounds different in terms of acceleration with it on vs. off...hard to explain......never noticed that sound with my 2013 or any other car....wanted to know if anyone else has noticed it as well..its more of an whine sound.

Took the car in said it was normal...which I am sure is not...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why the acceleration would sound different. The only difference that I'm aware of is that the compressor would be running. Honestly I've never even noticed a difference, even with the power, when the A/C was on in y 2011 Limited or in my current vehicle.

Peter

Yes. You're hearing the compressor.

I hear the same wine on our '15 LTD. First new car I have owned that has a winning sound from the compressor, its not a refined sound at all. Dealer says its normal.

Not sure what whine sound you're hearing, sorry. The only different noise I'd expect--I've never even heard compressor noise--is the sound of the fan drawing in air from the outside when the vehicle is low speed/stationary.

Is it almost like the car sounds like it's whining as you accelerate? This happens to me with the A/C on but only when it's very hot out (85 F or higher). If it's between 70-80F it sounds normal with the A/C on.

If its a whirrling type sound when starting from a stop, I had it too, but not always. I noticed it about 6 months before my a/c went to crap. Im assuming it is a leak and the sound is slightly low pressure . When the pressure gets low enough the compressor just wount turn on. Its been a hot summer for us as work has been slow and had other financial commitments have put the a/c on the back burner.....

Had same issue with my 2015, Seems like a low level growl as you accelerate and decelerate. This was fixed for me due to a bad Bearing in the compressor. Got it fix and have not had the issue since.+

..2016 XLT FWD - now I know with AC on you loose a bit of power - that I have no issues with....the Explorer just sounds different in terms of acceleration with it on vs. off...hard to explain......never noticed that sound with my 2013 or any other car....wanted to know if anyone else has noticed it as well..its more of an whine sound.

Took the car in said it was normal...which I am sure is not...
Hi,

Did you fix this problem. I recently bought used 2016 Explorer three months ago and having issue with little buzzing/hissing noise from AC compressor while initial acceleration. When I check with Ford service center in Dubai. I was informed that this noise is normal and there is no problem in my car or AC compressor.

Can you please advice how to resolve this problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Nasrullah

Welcome to the Forum Nasrullah. :wave:
You likely won't get a reply from the member you quoted. He was last active here on August 12, 2016.

Peter

Back