• Register Today It's free!

Cranking no start

Mike1983

Reaction score
City, State
Toney, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport track 2WD
I'm trying to diagnose a intermittent cranking no start on a 2001 sport trac 4.0 it seems to only happen in cold weather. does anyone have any suggestions on how diagnos the problem when it's not happening ? I'd like to fix it before it leaves me stranded .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to diagnose a intermittent cranking no start on a 2001 sport trac 4.0 it seems to only happen in cold weather. does anyone have any suggestions on how diagnos the problem when it's not happening ? I'd like to fix it before it leaves me stranded .
Have checked the crank sensor

Replace your fuel pump. Intermittent starting when the weather turns cold = worn out fuel pump.

I was leaning that way koda, but I know relays can do the same thing when they're getting ready to go out. what I'm really looking for is a test procedure that will identify a weak component before it fails completely. I want to be absolutely sure seeing that I don't really want a fuel pump for Christmas.

I was leaning that way koda, but I know relays can do the same thing when they're getting ready to go out. what I'm really looking for is a test procedure that will identify a weak component before it fails completely. I want to be absolutely sure seeing that I don't really want a fuel pump for Christmas.

Here's the way I prove that the fuel pump is the problem (listed in to particular order):

1. Swap the fuel pump relay with another one in the power distribution box. Also examine the relay's socket for corrosion.

2. When the vehicle wont start, try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body. If the the engine then stumbles to life, it's not getting fuel, which rules out an electrical problem (like the crank sensor).

3. Check the inertia switch's connections to make sure they're not loose, burnt or corroded.

4. When the engine wont start, try turning the key OFF/ON multiple times (may take up to 20+ tries or more) until you hear the fuel pump prime.

5. You can try testing the wire connection found on the frame rail behind the driver's side rear tire for power when the key is turned on. (requires two people and a VOM).

I've replaced the fuel pumps in all 6 if my Explorers/Mountaineers. 4 of them demonstrated the same symptom you're experiencing (1 flat out died and 1, with 260,000+ miles on it, turned out not to be the issue, but at that mileage was certainly due to be replaced). They all crapped out when the weather turned cold and all had between 160,000-200,000 miles on them.

BTW, I replaced the fuel pump on my '01 ST at 183,000 miles. Did it myself and my total cost was about $80, which included a quality fuel pump, a new strainer sock and a hard to find 3-port fuel filter.

Here's the way I prove that the fuel pump is the problem (listed in to particular order):

1. Swap the fuel pump relay with another one in the power distribution box. Also examine the relay's socket for corrosion.

2. When the vehicle wont start, try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body. If the the engine them stumbles to life, it's not getting fuel, which rules out an electrical problem (like the crank sensor).

3. Check the inertia switch's connections to make sure they're not loose, burnt or corroded.

4. When the engine wont start, try turning the key OFF/ON multiple times (may take up to 20+ tries or more) until you hear the fuel pump prime.

5. You can try testing the wire connection found on the frame rail behind the driver's side rear tire for power when the key is turned on. (requires two people and a VOM).

I've replaced the fuel pumps in all 6 if my Explorers/Mountaineers. 4 of them demonstrated the same symptom you're experiencing (1 flat out died and 1, with 260,000+ miles on it, turned out not to be the issue, but at that mileage was certainly due to be replaced). They all crapped out when the weather turned cold and all had between 160,000-200,000 miles on them.

BTW, I replaced the fuel pump on my '01 ST at 183,000 miles. Did it myself and my total cost was about $80, which included a quality fuel pump, a new strainer sock and a hard to find 3-port fuel filter.
Thanks that's really helpful. It quit on me agan and some carb cleaner got it going again. Given the truck has 216000 miles on the original pump that's probably it. I'm going to wait for it to die one more time to test the crank sensor and relays. I've already checked the inertia switch so it looks like next time it dies I'll be getting to the bottom of this.

I been having same problems what ive found out is that if i leave key in on position and go to fuse box and try pulling pcm relay fuse until u hear some noises similar to small taps then put it all the way back in and try starting it it will start its been working for me. Can someone think of something so that i wont be having to do this a the time?

I been having same problems what ive found out is that if i leave key in on position and go to fuse box and try pulling pcm relay fuse until u hear some noises similar to small taps then put it all the way back in and try starting it it will start its been working for me. Can someone think of something so that i wont be having to do this a the time?

Bad fuel pump relay or maybe the relay's contacts are loose or dirty. Pull the relay and examine the receptacles for corrosion. Switch the fuel pump relay with another similar relay in the power distribution box. You can increase the connection to the relay connections by bending the relay's blades ever so slightly with a pair of pliers.

I suppose there might also be a contact to the PCM that might be something less than great, or even a fuel pump issue. Pulling the PCM fuse and reinserting it is really no different from turning the ignition key ON/OFF multiple times, which often wakes up a worn out fuel pump.

Have you tried replacing the relau? Check for corrosion on the relay and socket.

My money is also on the fuel pump. Get a fuel pressure gauge for about 20 bucks at harbor freight or autozone and hook up to the fuel rail. Or just have a friend turn the key to the on position while you have your ear up to the tank. You should hear the thing hum as it primes up if it is still working. The gauge will be the definitive indicator though, the fuel pump can still be running but will be weaker than normal it is on its last legs. If you are measuring with a pressure gauge it should be around 60 psi. A weaker psi means failing pump thats about to quit permanently. If the problem is intermittent, i dont think the relay will be the root cause unless your contacts are fouled up.

My money is also on the fuel pump. Get a fuel pressure gauge for about 20 bucks at harbor freight or autozone and hook up to the fuel rail. Or just have a friend turn the key to the on position while you have your ear up to the tank. You should hear the thing hum as it primes up if it is still working. The gauge will be the definitive indicator though, the fuel pump can still be running but will be weaker than normal it is on its last legs. If you are measuring with a pressure gauge it should be around 60 psi. A weaker psi means failing pump thats about to quit permanently. If the problem is intermittent, i dont think the relay will be the root cause unless your contacts are fouled up.
Thanks that's the direction I was going. I just like to eliminate the inexpensive stuff first. I had a bad and expensive experience with a honda odyssey that turned out to be a bad relay

Back