trying to find cold air intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trying to find cold air intake

blove508

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer xlt
Hello all,
Trying to find cold air intake system for my 08 explorer 4.0 v6. All iv been able to find are ones for the 4.6 v8. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It pulls right from grill, and feeds right to the box. Doesn't pull hot air from the bottom of the hood and top of the engine like most "cold air intakes". Best you can do is go with a higher flow filter, not K&N or other MAF sensor oilers. If your really concerned swap out your hose for metal for the microscopic gains from the smooth pipe.

Not worth it in my opinion.....you will not notice the difference, maybe looks better.
Change the gear ratios :), you'll feel it right away.

Not worth it in my opinion.....you will not notice the difference, maybe looks better.
Change the gear ratios :), you'll feel it right away.

Believe it or not I put one in my 2004 explorer with a throttle body spacer and gained I think almost 10hp if I remember computer saying and got better gas mileage

any "open air" Intake is just allowing hot engine air to enter the Intake, rendering it a "Hot air" Intake and NOT a "Cold air" Intake.
Also, there have been explorer owners who said that the vehicle actually ran worse with a new modified Intake.

I have the k&n "cai" with open air un-oiled filter on my 4.6. Other than an increase in intake noise, I have seen no noticable gains. Is it possible that it made a difference and I can't feel it? Yes. Do I think its a worthwhile upgrade without an exhaust upgrade and a tuner? No.

I personally believe a spark plug change, trans fluid/filter service, t-case fluid change, diff fluid change and alignment will net you more gains. Especially since you can do all of that for about the same cost as a CAI.

Just my $0.02

Back