Dealer Cut a Hole in My Headliner HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Cut a Hole in My Headliner HELP

MSB1102

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT V6
So I bought my wife a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT. Found the only one in 100 miles with 2nd row bucket seats and NO sunroof. It had the tech package but for whatever reason, Ford is one of the last dealers that doesn't include Homelink on a tech package. Read here before buying that the OEM visor could be bought and installed pretty easily so figured we could just do that. Ended up buying the visor for $450 from the dealer (over priced I know but I thought I was playing it safe since they would install it for me) and $120 for OEM All Weather Mats.

They ordered the part and called me a week later to schedule to have it installed. I scheduled it for this morning and when I got there they told me the installer was running behind which I thought was kind of weird since I figured any one of their techs could probably just do it but didn't question it. The person I was working with was nice and I was happy to work with her versus other people I've dealt with at dealerships in the past. She called the shuttle who took me home and picked me up even though I lived 20 miles away.

Upon returning I ask them if they left the original visor in the vehicle (if I paid for both i'm going to keep both). She gives me a strange look. She tells they didn't touch the visor. I get in the car and saw this...

They cut a hole into my headliner to install this $10 after market button (the manual was in the cup holder I looked up the price). It's not even centered correctly. I asked her to pull up the contract (bill due?) and it clearly stated "Homelink Visor w/Install" I feel bad for the person I was working with because this is obviously going to get her into a bit of trouble but this is not what we paid a premium for and we don't want this junk in the car. I'm going to have the dealer replace this but I have a few reservations. They wont be able to patch the hole so I assume they would have to install a brand new headliner. My first concern would be they cutting corners and using an aftermarket headliner. The OEM headliner appears to be around $2000 (unless I'm looking it up wrong). Then there the long term concerns of the type of glue they use, install quality, sag, etc. I'm much rather have a factory install then have them replacing a brand new headliner.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when I have them do this? How will I be able to tell that they used the OEM headliner? Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will probably work just fine and I doubt you will have issues, if you are not happy about it they should replace the headliner and install it the way you want. I really doubt you can buy an aftermarket headliner for these so it would be a Ford part.

Main issue is having them take the car apart to change it, panels and clips can break or cause rattles etc (can be all fixed though), but if you definitely do not want what they have installed, have them replace it at their cost

My concern is that they buy some cheaper fabric elsewhere or contract an upholstery company to install something to trim costs.

I definitely don't like the look of it and always prefer my vehicles to have the stock look with no tacky or aftermarket customizations. I dont want to have an electronics or cabin noise, or headliner issue and have them blame that but I really just hate the idea of them tearing down a brand new headliner with no other issues other than the one they caused.

I'm going to have them remove and replace, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm looking for then they do it.

would have to do a visual inspection, see if the material is the same as before etc. If you don't trust them could mark the old headliner by removing a small portion of the rear hatch body gasket and making a small pen mark on the backside of the headliner etc. Make sure they know you want it replaced and you are not interested in having it patched or repaired in any way so there are no excuses.

I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble of the tear down to install a new headliner? Have you considered keeping it as is getting your money back plus negotiating something else?

I would negotiate the hell out of that and threaten a lawsuit over breach of contract. They should have installed the ford part...They falsely advertised and quoted you for a different product than what was installed.

Personally, at the end of the day, as long as it works, it should be okay, it's just at a different location. I would keep the car but get some money back for it definitely.

I'm on the other side.. I would have a new headliner put in. I've taken headliners down before for running wires and mods and there really should be no issues. A, B and C pillars either unsnap or unscrew. Headliner is held on my clips.

When I took my F350 down, I had to unscrew the handles in the from A-pillars, remove the upper center lights where they installed the cheap aftermarket part. Where the lights are were 2 more screws. Also had to unscrew both of the sun visors. That right there dropped the front headliner down.

It is not a difficult process and I would not worry about squeaks and rattles. Boy would I be pissed... I would not settle for a refund... because you know you will be angry every time you look at that off centered aftermarket switch.

So what was the bill? I would guess should be quite a bit lower that the original quote. I just wonder if it works the way the OEM visor mounted would have? From the picture it just looks like it is tilted a little. If they can fix that, I'd probably keep it if it were me, depending upon the answers to my previous questions. If you are certain that you don't want it then I would feel that you are absolutely within your rights to have them fix the error to your complete satisfaction at no more than the original quote.

Peter

Not sure about the retail version, but the PIU headliner is held in with magnets. Makes it a breeze running wires for antennas and such.

Wow... Have them install a new OEM headliner and the Homelink visor, no exceptions..

Not sure about the retail version, but the PIU headliner is held in with magnets. Makes it a breeze running wires for antennas and such.

the entire headliner? Mines non PI and every pillar cover had to be removed, the worst was the rear inner 1/4 panel, it came with missing clips from the factory because they wouldn't fit properly and when I had mine reinstalled they were added in. With the extra clips installed it was nearly impossible to have all of them line up without having them crushed, then I understood why they left them out:wtf:. If they do change a headliner I doubt the Ford dealer replaces all the clips, re-using them maybe allow for a loose fit.

Thanks for all the advice. The bill is the same, it was $450 that was paid upfront. Really it was rolled into the loan, normally I would have paid for any accessories with cash but im a sucker for interest free money.
I've slept on it still not sure which way I'm going to go. I still want the OEM homelink installed versus this aftermarket junk but at the same time I feel that if they couldn't read the most basic of instructions, can I really trust them to do the install of the headliner?

I'm still kicking myself for not doing it myself. The removal of 2 screws and 1 plug!! Ugh! Ordered the front and rear splash guards online and still kicking around the idea of ordering the running boards as I have 5 and a 3 year old who want to do everything themselves and it takes 10 minutes for them to get in or out of the car but either way I will be installing all of the other accessories myself from now on.

This all happened late Friday afternoon and they're supposed to call me Monday. Will have to decide by then.

PDR guys lower and reinstall headliners all the time to repair Hail damage.

I live in Southern California. Hail damage isnt something we experience around here. It's going to be 75 and sunny tomorrow.

I live in Southern California. Hail damage is something we experience around here. It's going to be 75 and sunny tomorrow.
Thats nice. Big trade off.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but it appears that you paid $450 for an OEM Homelink Visor and they installed a $10 aftermarket switch that involved cutting into your headliner and resulted in the switch not being centered. This is clearly a breach of contract unless they would have given you the $450 visor and said they made the change for a very good reason. Whether it’s a dealership or where they make the cars, Ford has certainly displayed poor QA/QC procedures on many aspects of this vehicle.

At a minimum, if you can live with the switch they should refund you the $450 you paid for the visor because it is brand new and will be sold to someone else unless this dealership has on ongoing aftermarket practice of installing switches vs visors, which is not right. Or I would have a new headliner installed and the visor you paid for installed. You do deserve something for inconvenience and that should be negotiated between you and dealership. If was managing this dealership I would be very embarrassed for this blatant error that could almost be considered bait and switch (sorry for the pun) fraud.

Lastly, "Really it was rolled into the loan, normally I would have paid for any accessories with cash but im a sucker for interest free money", debt is debt and you did pay $450.

Sorry to read about what happened. I am curious however if you could give the name and model number of the switch (Homelink) that they did install. You said you found the instructions in the cup holder with the price. I have a car I would like to add a Homelink to and this price seems very cheap. It is an older car so I don't mind doing an install similar to what the dealer did with yours.

I also agree that any replacement headliner would be OEM. I doubt that there is much of a market for them that would make if profitable for an outside supplier to make different headliners.

Sorry to read about what happened. I am curious however if you could give the name and model number of the switch (Homelink) that they did install. You said you found the instructions in the cup holder with the price. I have a car I would like to add a Homelink to and this price seems very cheap. It is an older car so I don't mind doing an install similar to what the dealer did with yours.

I also agree that any replacement headliner would be OEM. I doubt that there is much of a market for them that would make if profitable for an outside supplier to make different headliners.
Have you seen this install? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...elink-garage-door-opener.306904/#post-2669974

Peter

Hello:
I have been lurking on the site since I picked up my new '17 Exp XLT in November. Was this the switch they installed?
http://www.homelink.com/afterMarketHomeLink
This indicates installation within the headliner.
You are correct, if you specified the visor switch, that is what you should receive. The headliner I am certain would be OEM as I believe the aftermarket may have not caught up to current models.
bbwb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well its Monday evening....I would love to hear what the dealer had to say......?

Back