Won't start - Bad starter maybe? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start - Bad starter maybe?

If it wont spin with the plugs out, it is likely you've bent the piston connecting rods when it hydro-locked. The reason I don't think the issue is your starter is because the lights go dim when you try to crank it. This indicates the starter is trying to turn the engine, but can't.

With the plugs out you can try putting a breaker bar on the harmonic balance bolt. If you can't turn it by hand, your engine is now a ball of junk... sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put a socket on the crank bolt and bar it over by hand. You don't need the starter for that test.

The best way to get the starter out of those is to pull the two (maybe three) bolts holding the front diff and let it lower down a few inches. It only takes a couple minutes to do, and it will give just enough space to get through there.

(Koda already got it while I was typing.)

Yea kinda was thinking the same thing. That I bent a rod.was hoping not.but I can't turn it over by hand.can I drop the pan and pull rods in frame?

Yea kinda was thinking the same thing. That I bent a rod.was hoping not.but I can't turn it over by hand.can I drop the pan and pull rods in frame?

You can't just remove the 5.0 oil pan with the engine in place. Too much stuff in the way. Even if you could you'd be looking at trying to pull and replace the pistons from the bottom of the cylinders. I don't think that can be done, even if the crank shaft wasn't in your way (which it would be). I've never heard of anyone even trying to to that.

You'd be better off finding yourself a used running 5.0 engine at this point and maybe another truck.

You can't just remove the 5.0 oil pan with the engine in place. Too much stuff in the way. Even if you could you'd be looking at trying to pull and replace the pistons from the bottom of the cylinders. I don't think that can be done, even if the crank shaft wasn't in your way (which it would be). I've never heard of anyone even trying to to that.

You'd be better off finding yourself a used running 5.0 engine at this point and maybe another truck.

IDK about the 4.0 OHV. More than likely you'd have a similar issue with the oil pan and you'd still have the same issue trying to remove the pistons from the bottom of the engine. It just isn't done that way. You need to remove the heads.

Suggestion - Next time start you own thread instead of tagging on to someone else's ancient thread. That's why I thought you had a 5.0L

Back