• Register Today It's free!

Starter issues?

Pdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddy Bauer
I have a 99 5.0 with some starter issues> Was working fine one moment and then go to leave an hour later and battery is dead. Jump started and went home. No problems for weeks. Drove home parked, came out the next day and dead again (this is a new battery). Would not jump start. At first starter would click, then it stopped clicking entirely. Now all lights and gauges light up and buzzers go off, but the starter is not turning over at all.

First thought is starter relay. Any help?
Pdoug

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. It sounds like it could be the starter or the battery terminals. This happened to me a few times, and it was the connection on the starter relay. There was some corrosion on the connection.

Fwiw

Big +1 on BrooklynBay's suggestion.
I had the identical problem on a different truck. Drove me crazy for a year. Battery would mysteriously discharge, sometimes it wouldn't start - totally random. It didn't click, starter just sat there, lights sometimes bright, sometimes nothing.
One Saturday I sat down, and starting from the battery terminals cleaned, tightened, and adjusted every connection from battery to ground, to the relays, and to the starter. Found enough corrosion at the starter to make me think about replacing the cable. Of course being cheap I didn't.
Long and short, since I did that, I NEVER had another problem with the discharges or failure to starts. None.

Back