dent

Reaction score
City, State
toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
hi,

trying to track down a problem and looking for some advice

I've got a '13 ford explorer. recently, i've developed a humming/ growling noise from the front passenger side. i can feel vibration on the steering wheel and if i sit in the passenger side, i can feel the vibration floor board. also the vibration on the driver side but not as noticable

Was initially thinking the cv but the noise is pretty steady and doesn't matter if i'm turning or not. went to a parking lot and went around and round in circles and didn't get the classic cv popping. then thought wheel bearing but the noise only happens when i'm on the gas pedal. If i'm coasting with no load on the drivetrain, the noise is not there.

if it was the wheel bearing, i am thinking that i should hear it when coasting or hear it when coasting and turning but it's only there when i'm on the gas.

i'm stumped. anyone have anything similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought wheel bearing...but this is an interesting one because I have a similar noise...well different but at certain speeds that i think is trans related..but they always say my car checks out fine...I have no vibration with mine BTW just a noise

TSB 15-0156 describes a front wheel drive - vibration and/or grinding, banging or clicking that is caused by a broken/cracked righthand side halfshaft bearing bracket.
The TSB is specific for the Explorer with the 2.0L or 2.3L GTDI motor but it's worth a look anyway.
I'm having mine checked out right now for a similar driveline vibration.

hi,

trying to track down a problem and looking for some advice

I've got a '13 ford explorer. recently, i've developed a humming/ growling noise from the front passenger side. i can feel vibration on the steering wheel and if i sit in the passenger side, i can feel the vibration floor board. also the vibration on the driver side but not as noticable

Was initially thinking the cv but the noise is pretty steady and doesn't matter if i'm turning or not. went to a parking lot and went around and round in circles and didn't get the classic cv popping. then thought wheel bearing but the noise only happens when i'm on the gas pedal. If i'm coasting with no load on the drivetrain, the noise is not there.

if it was the wheel bearing, i am thinking that i should hear it when coasting or hear it when coasting and turning but it's only there when i'm on the gas.

i'm stumped. anyone have anything similar?

Is it FWD or AWD?

Is it FWD or AWD?

its' an AWD

crawled under and took a look at the boots and i cannot see any cracks or rips. no sign of grease leaking out of the joints either.

I'm not sure this model has a half shaft bearing bracket. or does it?

its' an AWD

crawled under and took a look at the boots and i cannot see any cracks or rips. no sign of grease leaking out of the joints either.

Please update your profile to show the 2013 Explorer x... Thanks.

Peter

its' an AWD
Haha, you got me there, darned if I know whether these models have 'bearing brackets'. I was just trying to find anything that might apply to my similar vibration issue and gave that TSB to the Service Writer yesterday. He looked at it and included the note in the Work Order. Haven't heard anything from the Dealer yet but I gave them 3 pretty complicated warranty items to work on and don't expect a call for a few days.

Hi all,
Just wanted to add my 2cents. I had the popping sound while turning and the service center replaced the rack and pinion (so I was told) also I had the "shift to park" issue where when I am in park the car still thinks I am not. They replaced the shifter. However when I received the car there was an annoying hum as well as vibration on the steering while in idle. I've sent the car back to the dealer and they've had it for 4 days so far - was just told they ordered another part - not sure what that is. I should be getting another update shortly.

its' an AWD
Re: TSB 15-0156, while getting my car serviced for other items the Service Writer had the Ford Tech look at the right hand halfshaft bearing bracket and he said it looked ok, nothing visibly wrong.

Re: TSB 15-0156, while getting my car serviced for other items the Service Writer had the Ford Tech look at the right hand halfshaft bearing bracket and he said it looked ok, nothing visibly wrong.

thank you.

looking online at the exploded diagrams, looks like it does have a bearing bracket!! very interesting. I'll take a look at mine tonight.

it's weird that it looks like the bearing is pressed on or is part of the whole half shaft assembly. which means, if the bearing is toast, then the half shaft needs to be replaced.

I really need to get my hands on a shop manual :)

Yeah, a shop manual would sure help diagnose these problems. Although two different Service Writers went for a ride with me neither admitted to feeling the rubbing/vibration/grinding I feel when slowing down and stopping. The more experienced of the two said he felt 'something', but it was not anything he'd worry about so if it gets worse to let them know. Sigh.

I just got a call from the dealership on mine after taking it in for a noise and vibration in the front. They say it is a wheel bearing.

At about 80 MPH it was a loud humming and slight vibration.

Wheel bearing replacement fixed it for me.

Back