2008 Key Stuck in Ignition - Need Permanent Solution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Key Stuck in Ignition - Need Permanent Solution

PESCAHOLIC

Reaction score
City, State
Yorba Linda, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport Trac XLT
My son got a 2008 Sport Trac with just 49,000 miles - thanks grandpa!

The key was stuck and I used the numerous threads and recommendations to push the pin in the shifter mechanism back into place, which does resolve the issue...temporarily.

The problem is that it continues to happen within the next 5-10 times the car is used. I can continue to push the pin back into place, but I'm assuming there is a part that is broken causing the repeated issue.

Any suggestions as to what part is the culprit that is causing the pin to continually come of of place?

He leaves for college in a few days and I'd really like to get it resolved before he leaves and has to deal with it several states away.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

This may sound janky, but I would leave the key in the ignition, use a spare to lock and unlock the doors, and just disconnect the key-present-in-the-ignition wire to prevent it from dinging while the door is open.
Had a friend who had a Ranger with an ignition that was crazy sloppy. So sloppy that you could turn it and start the car without a key. Just think of it like a push button start car but without the key fob. Hop in, turn the ignition, drive off. Deal with it later if you are on a time crunch, because it sounds like the real fix here would be to replace the ignition, requiring it to be re-keyed and all that.

If the pin you are talking about that corrects it, but keeps popping out is on the side of your transmission selector lever...then I believe the correct part to replace is:

"7210 Auto Trans Shift Lever"
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...earch=1&keyword=Auto Trans Shift Lever#Search

(different parts/prices for XLT vs Limited / 6cyl vs 8cyl)

Sadly, I don't see a further breakdown for anything to ensure the pin stays in place. It is an expensive option...though you might be able to 'rig' a solution like a slightly bent bar attached to force the pin back in place every time.

best of luck!

John

Back