Key stuck in the ignition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key stuck in the ignition

kpr1024

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
The key is stuck in my 2006 Explorer and the only way to get it out is to disconnect the battery. It will turn all the way back to the position where it should release, but it doesn't. I've tried moving the shift handle while pulling on the key, but that doesn't help either. It will start and run just fine, and the key fob is the only way to lock it while leaving the key in the ignition. Could this be a blown fuse?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key is stuck in my 2006 Explorer and the only way to get it out is to disconnect the battery. It will turn all the way back to the position where it should release, but it doesn't. I've tried moving the shift handle while pulling on the key, but that doesn't help either. It will start and run just fine, and the key fob is the only way to lock it while leaving the key in the ignition. Could this be a blown fuse?

I'd think its something with the shifter connection. Something in the shifter makes it lock and you may have a bad connection there. Mine did that when I was in a hurry, but after wiggling the shifter, it unlocked and key came out.

Thanks to those who responded. I thought I would post what was causing my "stuck key" in case anyone else might have a similar problem.
I took off the chrome bezel around the shifter handle and the console section under it. There was a loose metal pin about 3 inches long loose under there. I googled until I found a diagram that showed where this pin came from. The article said "The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position."
After I reinserted it under the moveable arm (which made a clicking sound when I pushed it up), the key came out of the ignition.
Here is the link to the information which helped me.

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91946/GM-key-and-shifter-concerns

Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem.

Thanks to those who responded. I thought I would post what was causing my "stuck key" in case anyone else might have a similar problem. I took off the chrome bezel around the shifter handle and the console section under it. There was a loose metal pin about 3 inches long loose under there. I googled until I found a diagram that showed where this pin came from. The article said "The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position." After I reinserted it under the moveable arm (which made a clicking sound when I pushed it up), the key came out of the ignition. Here is the link to the information which helped me. http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91946/GM-key-and-shifter-concerns Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem.

WooHoo!! I was right. Glad you figured it out.

2010 Sport TRAC ignition key won't come out??

I have fixed my interlock several times and am looking for a PERMANENT repair. What can be replaced so this will last another 90,000 miles. The Ford parts guy has no idea and the service manager isn't much better. They want take the car apart so they can order
????????
Thanks
Don

What specifically was the problem that was fixed previously?

Back