Gen2 - Simple - Sound System Upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen2 - Simple - Sound System Upgrade

Spudhut

US Navy Submariner
Reaction score
City, State
Bentonville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
Callsign
KG5SPB
When got my Gen2 Sport, it did not have much of a sound system in it. Having installed many large scale sounds systems in my cars/trucks over the years, I didn't want to spend much and was willing to risk a little buying some cheaper brand that i was not familiar with.

I didn't want some bulky wooden box in the back of my Sport, so I chose to use the later factory speaker box that houses the 8" woofer. My Sport must of had been basic and had the pocket where the sub woofer box would normally fit.

List of what I purchased:
-I found a nice box and speaker cover at my local JY. - $9
-8" Planet Audio - Subwoofer ($26) - fit the air space requirements of the box. I added a small bit of white factory foam stuffing in the shallow portion to help 'tune' it in. 8" Subwoofer
-1500 watt Amplifier - Mono Block ($55) - Amplifier
-Sound Storm SX310 Electronic Crossover ($33) - Cross Over
-Dual Electronics Head Unit - Bluetooth ($30 - @Oreillys) - Head Unit
(I did get the 2year $3 protection plan on electronics 'just in case' :) )

I used the Dual Head unit because I like to use the music on my iPhone. The bluetooth capability is nice, it always links up with my phone when I start the car. The phone feature is nice and works well too. This head unit is very basic, it does not have many audio controls; thus the reason for getting the electronic crossover. The crossover helps split signals for the subwoofer so you dont get alot of unwanted sounds going through that could harm the speaker.

You have to read the spec's of the speaker. It fits well in air space requirements and it performs and sounds surprisingly well. It hits some real lows and punches well. I wish I could put up a good audio clip to show.

The only modification to the box I had to make was take a 2" hole saw and drill out the hump on the back side and I epoxy'd a small aluminum disk to fill the hole in its place. I needed 1/4" more room for the speaker to fit.

I was very skeptic when I made this purchase but knew if I kept all the wattage in its respective parameters, performance should be good. I understand the Amp and speaker are likely not rated at what they represent - either way, even at low volume settings, this thing packs a good clean punch and bass tone.

I pulled the factory head unit out and fabricated the single Din unit and cover plate above to fill the hole. I added a gain knob above the radio for quick control when I needed it.

As for the Amp and crossover, I didn't want to screw them to the back of the rear seat so I fabricated an aluminum bracket to sit in the inset that would normally hold the speaker cover in place an put the amp/crossover over the amp hole. Needless to say, I still have access to all the space in the back and I can put my seat up and down with no issues.

Hope this helps someone, I would recommend these products to anyone on a budget and looking to enhance their audio system a many steps above stock!

I will be doing this same mod in my other 97' V8 4-door XLT.

HeadUnit1.jpg

Amps and crossover: I know the rca's are pinched on bottom of crossover - I have 90degree adapters on way to fix this issue.
Amp.jpg

Subwoofer behind amp:
Sub.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would consider moving the amp away from the front of the sub. It will die quicker from the vibrations.

You might be able to mount that crossover behind that interior panel, maybe even that amp.

I mounted my Alpine amp under the rear driver side seat, and an AudioControl LC2i on an OEM enclosure behind the panel.

Thanks for the feedback.

The AudioControl LCi2 is a great piece of gear and works flawlessly. I have had a few of them in the past; unfortunately it put me out of budget at the time.

Ill look again in those spaces you mention but the AMP is much larger and would not fit under any of the seats, especially the rear seats as the seats almost sat flush to the floors in the Sports.

I was able to put am amplifier behind the rear panel, where the stock subwoofer and head unit amp were. The only issue that you have is airflow behind that panel, so I wouldn't recommend anything pushing above let's say 500W RMS without some sort of fan. It's all stale air.

That amp only has a single 30 amp fuse so you're likely to get only a maximum 400W RMS at around 14.4v max. Keep in mind that this isn't an exact measurement, but basing off fuses is a quick and dirty way to find out what your amplifier can take, even if it doesn't hit anywhere near the ballpark of accuracy actual specialized testing equipment can do.

bCrnbjs.jpg

This is what I had it mounted before removing the stock stereo amplifier.

dcpSajj.jpg

And now after. Lots more room! As mine is just a Ford Explorer and not a sport version, I thought I would offer some input but I don't know how it compares to your model. This amp is around 300W RMS max and it has no issues, so I'd say you're fine mounting it behind that plastic panel.

Thought I would drop an update since the install - I am still very happy with the functionality of the components. I have had NO issues whatsoever. Sound quality is still on par - sub woofer still booming hard! Still amazed its only an 8".

I would agree that the components should be relocated away from the sub (aesthetic reasons)...Ill be changing that in the future.

Back