• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer fuel pump

djones55

Reaction score
City, State
carson ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
truck will turn over but want crank. may have to turn key on and off several times be4 fuel pump will keep in. hooked up jumper cables to it and cranks evertime. will run good after i get it cranked. also put a new battery in it and it still done this. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked battery connections? You might remove them, and clean contact surfaces with battery terminals. Good luck.

So is it not cranking or not starting? There is a difference

Sounds like it's cranking but not starting. I wish people all used the same terms.

It also sounds like a weak pump, i'd replace it.

thanks it will just turn over want crank until i put the jumper cables on it then it will crank up and run

Had the same problem not saying it will fix yours but mine would crank but not start because fuel pump would not prime due to bad connection on relay, replaced relay didn't fix problem so I pulled all of the fuses and relays out of the power distribution box pulled the yellow templates out and cleaned/bent contacts in the box for better connection and havnt had a problem since, thought it was a bad fuel pump for sure given it started out and for years was just the random crank but no start then it died on me a few times while driving did the repair as discussed been working fine every since.

Back