Feel like I won a bunch of money. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feel like I won a bunch of money.

Well, as long as it doesn't leave her beside the road, all is well! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I am so pleased with the ride being back to newlike, I will do chains the next time I have two days free. I will update as I do my own work. By the way I also installed struts from Complete Struts approx 65.00 each. I have driven 4000 miles and they are great. has anyone used the cast metal thermostat housing?

Guys, I am so pleased with the ride being back to newlike, I will do chains the next time I have two days free. I will update as I do my own work. By the way I also installed struts from Complete Struts approx 65.00 each. I have driven 4000 miles and they are great. has anyone used the cast metal thermostat housing?
Are you doing the chains on a 4.0? If yes be very careful. There aren’t timing marks on it.

I put on new Monroe Quick Struts, Michelin LTX2 tires, sway bar links and bushing and wow it rides great. It completely changed my mine on selling to by a newer one and I have 166K miles. This was a huge investment of $1600 but hard to pass up my paid off truck with a V8.

So Art installed a set of Complete Struts where the set of 4 of them goes for about $ 250 and Dag used Monroe's that go for about $ 500 for a set of 4.

Are Monroes really that much better and worth double the price ?

I am the procrastinator still riding on original ones with over 261k miles.

So Art installed a set of Complete Struts where the set of 4 of them goes for about $ 250 and Dag used Monroe's that go for about $ 500 for a set of 4.

The on-line comments about Complete Struts are you get about 10k miles. YMMV

Ford recalls nearly 1.4 million cars for dangerous steering wheels
Total side bar, but this will make me feel better when I am feeling sorry for myself while trying to cobble my exploder back together... at least my steering wheel stays on HAHA.

I have found you get what you pay for on these things. Not skimping on shocks protects your tires. What you save on shocks will be spent on tires later and you wont be as comfortable. Then again I am in Colorado and our roads are rough. When my stuff isn't right I feel it 10 fold. On a side note I had a good time with Spectrum shocks on my 97.

I am drying fro Connecticut to Florida and will put on another coupl of thousand. Will keep you updated on shocks.

Ggiordano, thanks for timing mark tip. I will do it old school. mark myself when I am at TDC. Feel free to add any other tips.

...it's not a few hours job:(

I do not have any symptoms therefore after this enlightenment and research, I will continue to drive what I consider a time bomb. It appears that Ford designed an engine that requires “extreme” labor for what is considered routine maintenance on most engines. Quite stupid I made got add.
Coyote transplant anyone?

Art -

At the beginning I thought you were going to do it and was very anxious to see the updates. When you said you have 2 days for it, I thought you knew how "easy" this job is and you were allocating 2 days since that's what it takes probably.
I know this is somewhere in my future, but depending on the mileage I'll be at, it may be whole new long block.

That tick can be the valves. My 97 with 210 on the clock had no rattle and you could tell clicking was in the upper valves. Many noises sound concerning but aren’t a bad thing.

How can you tell if the tick is the valves or the timing chain?

How can you tell if the tick is the valves or the timing chain?
The location of the noise while using a mechanics stethoscope with the belt removed. The clicking with be higher up and closer to the center of the engine. I’ve noticed it has a faster pace and is more uniform in Pace. The cassette pieces tend to be lower due to gravity.

Went to a ford dealer the last week feeling like I would by a new Explorer. My 2010 EB has 110,000. After seeing that the new Explorers are more soccer mom vehicles, I looked at the new Expedition. At 70,000+$, My Explorer was looking pretty good. Invested $2000.00 in shocks, controlarms,tie rod ends,
Ball joints,sway bar links. Picked her up today and she drives like new.

I just bought a 2010 EB with 110k miles - It drives great and the suspension is quiet. What were your symptoms? Is rebuilding the suspension typical at this age and mileage?

Typical? Yes.
No noise just a general looseness and steering wheel wobble. Inspection showed me worn leaky shocks, prob orig. worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints and arm bushings. Good news is good MOOG parts are inexpensive and returned my vehicle to like new ride and handling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back