Does 16 psi radiator cap harm the engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does 16 psi radiator cap harm the engine

Based on another thread about the coolant. I topped up with a somewhat universal type for HOAT vehicles which a lot are using. Similar colour to what is in the rad anyway. I may pick him up a new rad cap this spring as well online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the points, it took from me alot of time and changing parts until i swap to 16 psi rad cap,so it was intuition and trail and error expirements..

Thanks again
oops, minus 5 points for misspelling "trial". :laugh:

My son tried to get a 16psi rad cap for his 09 Explorer. Got a price dealer parts guy said yeah. When he got their the clueless parts guy did not understand or listen to him. He was given a 20psi cap. LOL He said of course that's not what he asked for. The parts guy at ford dealer had no clue how to find it. 100km round trip no doubt. Back to square one.

I found on listed on a Ford site but no description nor alternate is listed. Are all these rads using the same cap such they fit? The one in this thread is an aftermarket one!!

Any narrowing this down would help. It took me almost a week to find this thread again so I am bumping it. OK

Thx

Bought mine aftermarket, never did check with Ford.
Neighborhood auto parts store.

Oh, what brand if any. Dealer does not have a cross reference or knows what will work that I just called. Might try CARQUEST and see what they have. If RS76 is physically the same then it should be easy to find a quality after market one. Hopefully!!

I grabbed the cap off a 2000 Explorer 4.0 that was at my shop totaled a few years ago, and it fit perfectly and was stamped 16 psi.

Oh, what brand if any. Dealer does not have a cross reference or knows what will work that I just called. Might try CARQUEST and see what they have. If RS76 is physically the same then it should be easy to find a quality after market one. Hopefully!!
just get a cap for a 2000 explorer it is the same size and is 16 psi, that is what I did for my 2008

Don’t remember the name, been awhile.
But if your search the thread or site should find it.

We just picked one up from CARQUEST.

Part #10233 for the CARQUEST brand of cap which is 16 psi

Back