Need help identifying a cluster of 4 wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help identifying a cluster of 4 wires

ALamp

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer 4x4 sport
Hi, I'm new to the forum so hello everyone.

My problem is that my 92 4x4 5 speed explorer has had an issue with the engine loosing power and bucking back when ever it hits even the smallest bump or pothole. Only happens in gear, no issues when going over a bump in neutral. Havent taken it over 35 the few miles I drove it after the problem started

I believe I have isolated the problem to a cluster of 4 wires sitting between the ignition pack and engine oil filler cap. After cleaning the battery terminals and cables I turned the truck on and started wiggling wires around. After hitting that cluster the truck immediately begin to die and come back to life after letting it be again.
Bought it after it had been sitting for 2 years. Have replaced the following:
Fuel filter
Air filter (K&N)
New Mass airflow housing
Brake lines in rear
And as of 3 weeks ago a new gas tank and fuel pump assembly along with an oil change.

Might be worth it to mention after getting it back from the mechanic for fuel pump/tank. They had left the air intake dissconnected from throttle body which I caught after the 1 mile mile home. Ran fine for two weeks then a couple days ago began to run rough. Noticed another hose going to the intake down a bit from Maf was dissconnected. Put it back ran great for 2 miles then the current problem began.

I've included the best picture I could get if it helps any

Any help or constructive advice would be great. Thanks!

KIMG0142.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After some searching last night, I believe the ignition control module may be the problem. I'm still having trouble finding where exactly it is located and how the cluster of wires connects, if I'm right. Going to follow the wire clusters, see If I can't find the more direct problem today

the ignition module sits in front of the battery on the radiator header panel it has seven [7] wires going to it
roscoe

This is the diagram I've been going off of. I believe the cluster in question to be the jumble beneath tfi ignition module, which I've come to realize is not equipped on my explorer.

Going back out to find the ignition module as you've specified Roscoe, thanks. Will update if I find it links up with the problem spot. There are two connections that go into the intake manifold, one shown in first picture another about 2.5 inches towards the firewall. (I believe them to be 16 58 or 36 on diagram) Both look worn but no idea what they are. Another set of wires goes directly to the ignition pack. Haven't found where the last cluster leading towards firewall comes from.

So after messing with the connections coming off of the intake manifold the truck won't start. Turns over and wants to go just doesn't. Found out that the large cluster that goes towards the front breaks off and goes to two more unidentified connections to the intake, and two sets that goes to the throttle body and iac. Still no idea on what I should be searching for specifically for information on what exactly is connected to the intake

two plugs to engine from wiring harness on pass side 16 pin plug 8 pin plug 16 wire plug think does inj my engine is batch fir so only three wires 1 tan 1 white and red to computer intake air temp can't tell color code only two wires water temp can't tell color code only two wires o2 sensor white plug to rear of engine can't tell color code iac valve two pin can't tell color code throttle position sensor 4 pin can't id color code plus 1 spade that goes to the radio interference condenser I believe
roscoe

the wires you are looking at go from tfi module to the computer
roscoe

Thanks for your help Roscoe. Was told today I can get a wiring harness from the junk yard and splice in the plugs in question they are two prong, both with 1 red and orange wire each. Going to start on the the one I already unwrapped then do the second plug if start problems hasn't corrected. Will attempt Wednesday.

Better picture of the problem area

KIMG0143.JPG

That looks like a connector for a fuel injector to me.

Is splicing in a used connector advisable? Or would buying new ones be the best bet?
Also should I replace the injectors themselves while I'm at it?
Thank you

Dorman Products actually sells replacement connectors at a minimal price.

I would much rather have a replacement brand new connector rather than one that has seen 20+ years of service.

After some searching I found dormans you were talking about shucker1, thanks. Will get new as suggested. Do you think it would be a good idea to do the injectors as well? It doesn't seem like a real difficult job and it's only 50 bucks or so for a 6 pack.

You have to pull the upper intake to get them out if I am correct.

It couldn't hurt though.

It doesn't seem like a real difficult job and it's only 50 bucks or so for a 6 pack.

$50.00 for 6? Are those used or Reman?

I would get new ones.

you can get all of the connectors from rock auto I've replaced all the ones on my engine swap.
roscoe

$50.00 for 6? Are those used or Reman?

Taking a second look it seems there are many cheap 50-60$ 6packs. Probably not my best option. Bosch packs are around 80-90$ motorcraft at 125$ and performance options ranging upwards to 300$ will probably go for the higher end Bosch's.

you can get all of the connectors from rock auto I've replaced all the ones on my engine swap.
roscoe

Thanks again Roscoe, gonna save myself quite a bit going through rockauto for the connections. At 4.50 a piece im going to get new all around.

Would there be anything else that might be cost/time effective to replace while I already have the intake taken off? Maybe worth it to replace the intake and valve cover gaskets?

I would for sure replace the valve cover gaskets. I've had to replace them twice so far on our '92 XLT with about 250,000 miles on it. Also inspect the cover gasket surfaces closely, members of this forum have mentioned that they rust out and leak. As to the intake, you might want to read up (also on this forum) as to how some others have done it - which gasket set they used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought oem refurbished injectors from eBay 80$
And 5 connectors from rockauto 20$
The 6th was a dorman bought from amazon for when i was just going to do the one connector 15$

Going to take the intake and valve covers off tomorrow. Clean intake, ready up existing connectors to be swapped out, and figure out all the gaskets I'll need. Getting a price check from Napa tomorrow looking up prices for the brands listed through forum tonight.

Also inspect the cover gasket surfaces closely, members of this forum have mentioned that they rust out
I'll keep that in mind, thank you

Back