03 3rd Gen Engine Swap about to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 3rd Gen Engine Swap about to start

BarraSwaps

Reaction score
City, State
Adelaide
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Hi people new to the forum from Australia,
I have a 03 Explorer with the 4.0l SOHC Automatic 4x4

I'm about to take on the task and try my hand at dropping the Barra inline6 DOHC 270T from a 2008 FG XR6 Turbo in it.
I have mounts getting made now :)
One problem I'm trying to get my head around is if I keep it 4x4 or just run it RWD?
Ill be looking at rebuilding the engine and running a bigger turbo.
Looking to get a winner with this big sleeper.

Any tips or tricks to help or lookout for on the way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to do this swap so bad, but it’s really hard to get one of those engines here in the states. I would keep it 4x4, these vehicles don’t hook up real well on rwd only. I have a supercharged dohc 4.6 in my explorer making around 450 horse. Still have the stock trans and transfer case with no issues. Awd launches are very nice, no shudder or weird noises or tire spin, just a whole lot of go.

Also, is the bell housing the same on the inline 6? What are you planning for a trans if not? These were my concerns when I was considering this.

Supposedly the ZF Trans can bolt up they are used on the Falcon BF 6speed XR6T
I have not found anyone that has successfully finished a build yet here in Australia.

Hi, BarraSwaps
I am interested in how you went with your engine swap as I am looking to do the same appreciate your input.

Back