Best 3rd Gen Platform | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best 3rd Gen Platform

Moonspud

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 exploder xlt
Hey Gurus

I'm after opinions on which 3rd gen platform is the best to start with for customization.

I'm toying with starting long project of a 5.4 swap, twin turbo and custom paint just to get started.
I live in Australia some parts and mods are difficult to obtain. I'm pretty much stuck to the models that were commercially imported. I've got a 2004 v6 daily driver and a 2002 v8 in bits in the shed. I found out the hard way that the complete body loom is different between the two after attempting a v8 upgrade. it was poor research on my part, but winging it is half the fun.

Wish List is, original interior and dash, original 4wd system and off road capability, rear LSD(plus front would be awesome), auto as manual is nearly impossible with original 4wd. moderate level of fabrication. The closest modular 5.4 I've found is a barra 220 out of a ford fairmont(same block but 3 valve)

Why? because its different, i like the body shape, they handle pretty good for a big lump, the 4wd/traction control is pretty good for not a true 4wd, it would be a hell of a sleeper until the paint is done. and theres nothing like a turbo at full noise followed by the whoosh

The Estimated budget would be around 20k for the project if i decide to pull the trigger.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Auto 4wd would not hold up to a twin turbo 5.4. The 4.0s give them enough trouble. I’d go with a 4406 like originally behind the 5.4.

The Auto 4wd would not hold up to a twin turbo 5.4. The 4.0s give them enough trouble. I’d go with a 4406 like originally behind the 5.4.

I had a feeling the box/transfer would be a issue
Does the 4406 have the electronic low range and front-rear control?

Obviously i'm trying to keep the auto/high/low functions and traction control

There are a few varieties of 4406, including one with ‘Torque on demand” electric shift with 2wd, 4wd auto, and 4low, I believe. Not sure if any were 4auto, 4high, 4low. It would probably take extensive harness swapping and you’d need the computers from the 5.4 donor.

There are a few varieties of 4406, including one with ‘Torque on demand” electric shift with 2wd, 4wd auto, and 4low, I believe. Not sure if any were 4auto, 4high, 4low. It would probably take extensive harness swapping and you’d need the computers from the 5.4 donor.

Whats the 4406 out of? in Australia we dont have the mountaineer

F150 and Expedition for sure. Maybe other models as well.

hmm expedition didnt get imported, 1999 f150 starts at 25k.... not really an option

The BW4406 most people use here are the 1998-2004 model ranges, all trucks but the variations didn't come in all models. I've got a TOD version from a 98 Navigator, that's the only one which can be auto4WD. The manual version would be the easiest to work with, from the F series and some Expeditions.

The 98 Expedition had the optional four position switch, 2WD/A4WD/4WDhi/4WDlow. The electronic type all require the matching GEM and a 4WD module(the TOD version has an extra module(TOD module)).

The 3rd gen trucks are the least reliable, I would hold out for, or find a way to get the 2006-2010 4th gen truck.

Sorry to hear that. You've got a bunch of great Fords there. I'd like to find a RHD 2nd gen Explorer here, for some dash parts etc. Shipping isn't really an option.

so moral of the story its going to be nearly impossible to achieve my wish list

I wouldn’t say impossible, just cost prohibitive.

Back