5.0 Coolant leak from bottom of engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Coolant leak from bottom of engine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get yourself a bottle of K-Seal and keep it in the glove box. If you see it start leaking again, throw it in the radiator. Stuff really works. It's stopped some minor (and a not-so-minor) coolant leaks for me.

s-l1600.jpg

Get yourself a bottle of K-Seal and keep it in the glove box. If you see it start leaking again, throw it in the radiator. Stuff really works. It's stopped some minor (and a not-so-minor) coolant leaks for me.

s-l1600.jpg
I'll keep that in mind.

Any ideas what would cause AC to stop blowing on normal acceleration? Was fine before radiator install and past few days. Until today. Like everytime leaving red-light vents stop blowing till I'm at speed than start blowing cold again.

Did find heater control valve little gray vacuum line broken Not sure what effect that has. I still have cold and hot air fwiw.

I'll keep that in mind.
Any ideas what would cause AC to stop blowing on normal acceleration? Was fine before radiator install and past few days. Until today. Like everytime leaving red-light vents stop blowing till I'm at speed than start blowing cold again.

Sounds like a disconnect in the line going to the vacuum reservoir or perhaps a bad check valve in that path. When you accelerate the engine vacuum drops, and it needs that reservoir to keep the door in the air plenum at the right position.

Sounds like a disconnect in the line going to the vacuum reservoir or perhaps a bad check valve in that path. When you accelerate the engine vacuum drops, and it needs that reservoir to keep the door in the air plenum at the right position.
would that tiny grey vac line that goes to the heater control valve have any effect? Its broken in half, might have happened when I moved lines off heater core mounts.

Just odd was working perfect, now this. One thing after another lol.

would that tiny grey vac line that goes to the heater control valve have any effect? Its broken in half, might have happened when I moved lines off heater core mounts.

That HCV is what allows hot coolant through the heater core. Without vacuum on it, the air will be heated by the coolant. You need all vacuum lines intact.

When you say stops working, do you mean that it stops blowing out the center dash vents and then returns once you're at speed? If so that broken vac line is the problem. You'd be surprised how small of a vac leak will cause that. As say, the engine produces minimum vacuum while accelerating. That's why the vacuum ball/reservoir is there. It acts as a buffer, but if you have a vacuum leak there's not enough reservoir vacuum and the HVAC default air direction is to blow out the defroster vents.

I'm dating myself, but when I was a child most cars/trucks used engine vacuum to work the windshield wiper motor. When climbing a hill the wipers would almost stop due to loss of vacuum, Most used a double action fuel pump to produce more vacuum but even this wasn't enough to overcome the loss of engine vacuum. The first vacuum reservoir I recall was in our '65 Thunderbird, which had electric wipers, but also had a bunch of vacuum operated accessories.

Ok, I'm confused here I guess.

When you say, it stops blowing, and shuts off, what do you mean?

Air just goes from cold to warm, and back to cold, or nothing comes out the vents, like the blower shuts off, or the air changes vents to the defrost only, then returns to the others upon lower rpm?

:dunno:

Ok, I'm confused here I guess.

When you say, it stops blowing, and shuts off, what do you mean?

Air just goes from cold to warm, and back to cold, or nothing comes out the vents, like the blower shuts off, or the air changes vents to the defrost only, then returns to the others upon lower rpm?

:dunno:
When you say stops working, do you mean that it stops blowing out the center dash vents and then returns once you're at speed? If so that broken vac line is the problem. You'd be surprised how small of a vac leak will cause that. As say, the engine produces minimum vacuum while accelerating. That's why the vacuum ball/reservoir is there. It acts as a buffer, but if you have a vacuum leak there's not enough reservoir vacuum and the HVAC default air direction is to blow out the defroster vents.

I'm dating myself, but when I was a child most cars/trucks used engine vacuum to work the windshield wiper motor. When climbing a hill the wipers would almost stop due to loss of vacuum, Most used a double action fuel pump to produce more vacuum but even this wasn't enough to overcome the loss of engine vacuum. The first vacuum reservoir I recall was in our '65 Thunderbird, which had electric wipers, but also had a bunch of vacuum operated accessories.

Yeah it'll just stop blowing, nothing out of vents or very little, then once at speed starts blowing again. Haven't looked at it today. Is it easy to follow to replace? Or is it one of those lines that goes down and takes every ass-backwards hidden twist and turns Ford could come up with lol? Haynes of course doesn't even show or mention it.

I will bet you it's a vacuum leak.

The low/no vacuum default is for all of the air to be funneled to the defrost vents, it's a safety thing.

Now ask me how many times I've had to fix vacuum leaks on the black line from the ball to the firewall.

I have a section of brake line that I have bent to fit where the vacuum line goes, and I fitted the ends with the vacuum fittings to connect to the plastic lines.

One of these weekends I'll put it in and put a stop to the AC interruptions.

What's the easiest way to get access to the vacuum reservoir ball? One of my lines got disconnected from it during the swap so I've temporarily bypassed it, but it's on my list to fix

Remove the passenger side front tire (may not be necessary if you cut the wheels all the way to the left) and unbolt the plastic plastic fender from the front. The ball is mounted to the upper side of the plastic inner fender.

Back