• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Driving Impression

il66pony

Reaction score
City, State
Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mountaineer
I currently have a 2008 Mountaineer with a V8. Yesterday, I drove a new 2018 Explorer with the non-turbo V6. Nice car but..
1) The first thing I noticed is that the 6 cylinder is pretty noisy upon initial acceleration. Sounds like an over-revving sewing machine.
2) Felt like I was driving my wife's Murano. Seems as though everything is much lower than my current Mountaineer. Just felt like a crossover or mini-van.

Does anyone also feel the same way about the current generation versus the prior generation? If I go with a 2019 or 2018, will I get used to it? I like the Explorer as it still looks like an SUV and not a crossover. Anyone have feedback on the Honda Pilot or Toyota 4 Runner?

Any insights or driving impressions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently have a 2008 Mountaineer with a V8. Yesterday, I drove a new 2018 Explorer with the non-turbo V6. Nice car but..
1) The first thing I noticed is that the 6 cylinder is pretty noisy upon initial acceleration. Sounds like an over-revving sewing machine.
2) Felt like I was driving my wife's Murano. Seems as though everything is much lower than my current Mountaineer. Just felt like a crossover or mini-van.

Does anyone also feel the same way about the current generation versus the prior generation? If I go with a 2019 or 2018, will I get used to it? I like the Explorer as it still looks like an SUV and not a crossover. Anyone have feedback on the Honda Pilot or Toyota 4 Runner?

Any insights or driving impressions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Get the Sport with the 3.5EB, or wait for the 2020 redesign ST model.
Never drove a Mountaineer before, but I doubt it drives better or have newer tech than modern vehicles.

I had a 2005 with a V8 similar to your 2008, but now have a 2015 with the 3.5EB. Do yourself a favor, and give a Sport a try. You will regret it if you don't. As far as a 3.5 N/A my wife has an Edge with the 3.5 N/A, and every time I drive that thing I dread it. That being said prior to owning my 2015 Sport, and driving her Edge I thought the thing did pretty well.

Bottom line test drive the Sport.

I had a 2005 with a V8 similar to your 2008, but now have a 2015 with the 3.5EB. Do yourself a favor, and give a Sport a try. You will regret it if you don't. As far as a 3.5 N/A my wife has an Edge with the 3.5 N/A, and every time I drive that thing I dread it. That being said prior to owning my 2015 Sport, and driving her Edge I thought the thing did pretty well.

Bottom line test drive the Sport.
Will do. Thanks.

I have a 2026 Sport, when I get a loaner car from the dealer (service work) I hate it with the smaller 6. Just not the same power I'm use to. I came from a Honda Pilot, the Sport is 3 times better; more power, less road noise and creature comfort is all better than the Honda Pilot.

Well try coming out of a 2016 460hp Camaro, then tell me how slow my xlt is. Lol.

The 2.3L EB has plenty of acceleration to me. Especially around town. Plus its slightly lighter. I did test drive the sport as well. I think you would adjust to the ride real quick. My explorer seemed hugeeee compared to my cx5 but now its completely normal.

When recommending the 3.5L Ecoboost, why is it always the Sport that is recommended? :dunno:The Platinum has the same engine and has a few more features. I think a prospective buyer should be given both options.

Peter

I have a 2026 Sport, when I get a loaner car from the dealer (service work) I hate it with the smaller 6. Just not the same power I'm use to. I came from a Honda Pilot, the Sport is 3 times better; more power, less road noise and creature comfort is all better than the Honda Pilot.
Wow, you have a 2026 Sport??:D

When recommending the 3.5L Ecoboost, why is it always the Sport that is recommended? :dunno:The Platinum has the same engine and has a few more features. I think a prospective buyer should be given both options.

Peter

It's too Platinum-y and not sufficiently Sporty.

Wow, you have a 2026 Sport??:D

LOL! I thought the same thing...

YES I do...……. don't hate me because I'm forward thinking, ahead of my time and can't type worth a damn. Well maybe I have a 2016 Sport, I'll go out to the driveway and look and report back on just what I have, maybe it's a 2036 Ford Sport. :laugh:

If I were to move up to a sport or a platinum from an XLT, it would cost a lot more as you all know. To get a universal garage door opener on the sport, I would have to add a $3,875 package (401A) of mostly stupid stuff.

Here is the list: 180-Degree Split View Front Camera w/Washer, Universal Home Remote Garage Door Opener, Ambient Lighting, O/S Mirrors & Driver's Seat Memory, Dual Heated Power Mirrors w/Power Fold & LED Turn Signals, 110V Power Outlet, (2) Second Row Smart Charging USB Ports, 500-Watt Amplifier, Premium Sony w/Clear Phase & Live Acoustics, Safe & Smart Pkg, Inflatable Second Row Seat Belts, Cooled Front Seats, Heated Center Row Seats, Leather-Wrapped Power Tilt & Telescoping Steering Wheel & Power Windows w/Front One-Touch Up/Down & Remote Control.

At that price point, I would start looking at other SUVs

If I were to move up to a sport or a platinum from an XLT, it would cost a lot more as you all know. To get a universal garage door opener on the sport, I would have to add a $3,875 package (401A) of mostly stupid stuff.

Here is the list: 180-Degree Split View Front Camera w/Washer, Universal Home Remote Garage Door Opener, Ambient Lighting, O/S Mirrors & Driver's Seat Memory, Dual Heated Power Mirrors w/Power Fold & LED Turn Signals, 110V Power Outlet, (2) Second Row Smart Charging USB Ports, 500-Watt Amplifier, Premium Sony w/Clear Phase & Live Acoustics, Safe & Smart Pkg, Inflatable Second Row Seat Belts, Cooled Front Seats, Heated Center Row Seats, Leather-Wrapped Power Tilt & Telescoping Steering Wheel & Power Windows w/Front One-Touch Up/Down & Remote Control.

At that price point, I would start looking at other SUVs
Sure, but none will come close to the hp/tq of the Sport/Platinum.

I don't need a lot of HP/TQ. Will never tow a trailer and where I live in Illinois, the biggest hill is about 10 feet high LOL. I just do not want a car that sounds like a sewing machine or a Japanese econobox.

I don't need a lot of HP/TQ. Will never tow a trailer and where I live in Illinois, the biggest hill is about 10 feet high LOL. I just do not want a car that sounds like a sewing machine or a Japanese econobox.
Well, the v6 does sound like a sewing machine. Maybe look into a v8 Durango. Great motor, and really great build quality. I'm 2nd guessing my choice with my 18 xlt.

Well, the v6 does sound like a sewing machine. Maybe look into a v8 Durango. Great motor, and really great build quality. I'm 2nd guessing my choice with my 18 xlt.
The 3.5EB isn't pleasant either.

Will check out the Durango. Thank God someone still has some common sense in putting V8 in these SUVs. If Ford can stuff a V8 in a Mustang, it ought to be a no brainer for an Explorer.

I too like the Durango, but the wifey likes the look of the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will check out the Durango. Thank God someone still has some common sense in putting V8 in these SUVs. If Ford can stuff a V8 in a Mustang, it ought to be a no brainer for an Explorer.
I think V8 engines may soon be joining the Unicorns. There are 2.0L Ecoboost engines that are capable of putting out as much and more power than a NA V8.

Peter

Back