Explorer LED Tail Light not working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer LED Tail Light not working

So, the taillights are covered under warranty? I have the same issue, but I was afraid that taillights might be considered a wear item and I would get dinged a few hundred dollars just to have them confirm that I need a new one.

Yes it was a warranty Item. At the time the vehicle was only 2 weeks old

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Labor on a tail lamp:

-Unscrew old tail lamp
-remove electrical plug
-migrate bulbs over
-reattach.

Takes about 10 minutes, if you're new.

Labor on a tail lamp:

-Unscrew old tail lamp
-remove electrical plug
-migrate bulbs over
-reattach.

Takes about 10 minutes, if you're new.

You forgot to open and close the tailgate :) add 60 seconds and $50 more LOL!!. :burnout:

And by open, swipe foot. Don't even have to use your hands! :bounce:

I have a 2016 Explorer Base and the driver side LED tail light has stopped working with only 300 miles on the vehicle. I removed the housing and could find bulb-connections for the brake light, reverse light, and blinker, but nothing for the tail-light. The brake, reverse, and blink all work fine. Any ideas how to check further on the tail light portion, or will I need to have the entire housing replaced?
u
Had the same issue. Took it to the dealer, they had to replace the unit.

i have same issue on 2017 explorer xlt.

i have same issue on 2017 explorer xlt.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing you still have the warranty. If so, take it to the dealer to have them check it out and let us know what was done to fix it. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing you still have the warranty. If so, take it to the dealer to have them check it out and let us know what was done to fix it. Thanks.

Peter
thank you.

Based on the input on this thread, I went to the dealer and they said it would typically be covered under warranty (after they messaged Ford Motor Co and got authorization) but since i had some aftermarket installation on the vehicle / (not the light at issue) (I work as volunteer EMS) that it can't be covered. The tail lamp is out because of an electrical failure and has nothing to do with any of the other auxiliary/emergency lights. but apparently once the vehicle has aftermarket parts, even if not the cause, they are not going to replace under warranty. so it seems im out of luck unless anyone has any other ideas.
thanks in advance

Do all the other lights of that light assembly work? I was going to ask if you checked the fuse but looking at the Owner's Manual, it doesn't list any for any of the exterior lights. The post 2015 manuals are not as detailed as the prior ones in fuse details.

Peter

hi,
yes, all other lights work, the turn signal, brake lamp, reverse lamp

Had this issue the first week I owned my explorer. Part was over 600 bucks but was warranty. I added the lights option when I bout my extended warranty just for that since the high dollar lights aren’t part of that package. Think it was an extra 50$.

im not sure why you had to pay extra for lights, it should be included without extras.

im not sure why you had to pay extra for lights, it should be included without extras. issue im dealing with was because of aftermarket part, so they have a way out.
I didn’t pay anything when my lights failed under warranty. But if you buy the extended warranty from the guy in Tenn, it’s Ford premium warranty, it does not include the light package as standard. That’s what I paid extra for.

The dealer fixed them no charge of course!

thank you.

Based on the input on this thread, I went to the dealer and they said it would typically be covered under warranty (after they messaged Ford Motor Co and got authorization) but since i had some aftermarket installation on the vehicle / (not the light at issue) (I work as volunteer EMS) that it can't be covered. The tail lamp is out because of an electrical failure and has nothing to do with any of the other auxiliary/emergency lights. but apparently once the vehicle has aftermarket parts, even if not the cause, they are not going to replace under warranty. so it seems im out of luck unless anyone has any other ideas.
thanks in advance

That's part of why we first responders are better off with PIUs, what with all the lighting solutions they offer right from the factory. (says a first responder who bought a PIU and put NO emer lights on it).

Is there any way we can slide in a led strip and just wire it to brake light

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Isn't that what you have now? Is your not working?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Isn't that what you have now? Is your not working?

Peter

Yeaaaa my passenger not working only the lil red light on the side works but the led dont work

In theory that is possible, to put in a sufficient # (and wattage) of LEDs, implement the current limiting circuit needed to assure long life (you can't just throw a 12VDC rated LED strip(s) in and expect long life because the electrical system goes into ~14.(n)VDC range to charge the battery), and fabricate a way to hold them in the correct position, after breaking open the light housing, then sealing it all back together when you're finished with the mod.

You'd probably want to do both sides of the rear so they look the same. What I'd do instead is look for a replacement at a junkyard.

Another alternative if you want to try cracking the housing open is to repair what is there, whether the driver has a fault or the LED array, replace discrete electronic components rather than the whole housing. That is just a theory, as I've never read of anyone doing this but I repair a lot of electronics and am familiar with typical LED circuits, so think it might be possible.

Back