Towing Packages | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Packages

Are sales managers in general not totally knowlegable on vehicle options?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveCT

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Where to begin? I was fooled three years ago by a CT Ford Dealer when I purchased my 2016 Explorer. it did NOT have a towing package (of any type) but I made it clear that I needed to tow my Pop-up Camper and a 17 Foot FourWinns Horizon. They said no problem that all they needed to do was install a hitch. The Explorer was to replace my 2004 Dodge Durango SEL that came equipped.

I decided to upgrade from my pop-up to a Travel Trailer (about 3.5K pounds). Come to find out my Explorer was not only incapable of pulling the new trailer, but the Boat was over the capacity as well. There was no engine oil cooler, and the axles/suspension was questionable as well.

I have always given the dealer favorable reviews in the area of service. So I contacted them to double check what I found on my own. The service department confirmed my information was correct. They also said that it is not possible for Ford to install the necessary components on my '16 Explorer. I decided to look into replacing the Explorer. THAT was when the real fun (?) began. The sales (Manager) came up with some options including a New Explorer that had a class III towing package included. The monthly payments were not feasible, so he sent me a link to a 2018 Explorer that would "do the job"

You know the old saying "Fool me once...?" I checked the window sticker and there was no mention of a towing package. I informed the salesman of this and he said that all 2018 and newer Explorers were capable of pulling up to 5K pounds. "I have attached a document that says this" I looked at the document and it indeed says that the vehicle can pull up to 5K pounds, but there is a footnote (5) that says (5)when properly equipped.

Once again I questioned the salesman and he said he would check with the Service Department, and got back to me saying that the Service Manager could install the hitch and it would not affect the warranty.

Gotta shorten this. So to make a long story short, I refused to deal any longer with this CT Ford Dealer. He told me that any dealer in the area would substantiate his Service Departments claim... I had already had my mechanic research my '16 Explorer and feasibility of installing the engine cooler. He checked with the local Dealer, and they said "no way". So I checked with Ford.com and they researched and said that without the package other components of the vehicle, engine, suspension, etc. could be compromised. I also looked at the Explorer Brochure in reference to towing, and it clearly says that towing without required equipment can invalidate the manufacturer's warranty.

I have seen other forums that it appears that this type of misinformation from dealers is more common than you think.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry about that. Trust me, I've gone on plenty of test drives where the sales person could not even tell me what engine was in the vehicle he was trying to sell me. It's all about the sale. Unfortunately the 5th gen Explorer's had miserable towing capacity, the 6th gens have gone back to rear wheel drive which bumps up the towing capacity immensely.

Unfortunately way too many salesmen are only looking to make the sale. Often they have too many models and don’t really know the specifics.

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry about that. Trust me, I've gone on plenty of test drives where the sales person could not even tell me what engine was in the vehicle he was trying to sell me. It's all about the sale. Unfortunately the 5th gen Explorer's had miserable towing capacity, the 6th gens have gone back to rear wheel drive which bumps up the towing capacity immensely.

First, I agree that some salesmen know very little about their product.

Second, I disagree about the towing comments.
I wouldn't say 5th gen towing capacity of 5000lbs(when properly equipped) is miserable.
I also wouldn't say the 600lbs bump for the 6th gen is "bumping up immensely." Don't get me wrong, it's a good bump, but not immense.

First, I agree that some salesmen know very little about their product.

Second, I disagree about the towing comments.
I wouldn't say 5th gen towing capacity of 5000lbs(when properly equipped) is miserable.
I also wouldn't say the 600lbs bump for the 6th gen is "bumping up immensely." Don't get me wrong, it's a good bump, but not immense.

I should have said "non-towing package equipped Explorers".

Welcome to the Forum Dave.:wave:
As for the poll subject, I think it would have been better to use the term 'Salesmen' or 'Salespersons' since they are really the ones that interact with the customer. Sales managers typically are in charge of the salespeople.

Peter

Sales managers typically are in charge of the salespeople.

Indeed, and often times (not always) it wasn't their immense product knowledge that got them into management.

On a side note, and I only mention this because even 20 years later I'm still a little irked by it. When I spent a little while in my misspent youth selling Fords, I knew my product down to option codes and in some cases down to part numbers. Guess what? I had the worst sales figures in the dealership. The jackass who didn't know a brake disc from a bagel consistently sold more than anyone.

Where to begin? I was fooled three years ago by a CT Ford Dealer when I purchased my 2016 Explorer. it did NOT have a towing package (of any type) but I made it clear that I needed to tow my Pop-up Camper and a 17 Foot FourWinns Horizon. They said no problem that all they needed to do was install a hitch. The Explorer was to replace my 2004 Dodge Durango SEL that came equipped.

I have seen other forums that it appears that this type of misinformation from dealers is more common than you think.

In other news, Dave, water is wet. Due diligence is a wonderful thing, especially when actually practiced, particularly when all necessary information is fully available and easily accessible without having to rely on an idiot in a polyester suit.

Pardon the bluntness, I really do mean well, honest to goodness.

Its almost a requirement that salesmen know nothing. My dad was a dealer for most of my life. Best salesman we ever had believed the best way to get a car to run smoothly was to pour tranny fluid down the carb while engine was running. Idiot. (He was also a mean person with no ethics but thats another story) But the man could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. All it takes to be a good salesman is to be able to tell the buyer what they want to hear, and sound sincere and concerned while you do it.
As far a towing, always do your own research and only trust those that aren't selling you anything.

Suggest you get into a Durango w/ tow package which has a minimum 6,200 lb rating.

Back