Headlight Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Replacement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they are new, did you click on the link? Its a pair with bulbs and everything included except turn signal build. I know the Ford ones are expensive. Do you know if the Ford HID lights have the shutter for the high beam like the halogens? $261 seems cheep.
hid-xenon-2011-2015-ford-explorer-replace-projector-headlights-chrome-amber-12.jpg

$262 for two new headlights, HID bulbs and equipment and a 30 day warranty.. that right there tells you of the quality of the product.

Yes they are new, did you click on the link? Its a pair with bulbs and everything included except turn signal build. I know the Ford ones are expensive. Do you know if the Ford HID lights have the shutter for the high beam like the halogens? $261 seems cheep.
Yes, I used the link. The OEM ones do have the shutters. If interested, I think you should contact them and ask how they can offer a pair of $1200 OEM headlights for $261. I'd love to hear the answer. Maybe they are not OEM.

Peter

I have all the same reservations, it don't seem possible they can make them that cheap,they have to be cheap junk. I cant find any in junk yards that are resonable around here either.

Seems reasonable to me considering its just some plastic molds and cheap electronics. Remember the dealerships mark everything up 100%+.

Seems reasonable to me considering its just some plastic molds and cheap electronics. Remember the dealerships mark everything up 100%+.
The prices quoted for the OEM parts were from a Ford parts supplier, not a dealer.

Peter

MSRP on the OEM headlights (non HID) are $515, dealer cost is $411. Hardly 100% markup (more like 25%)

When I worked at a dealer (20 years ago) everything motorcraft was 100% or more markup. Prices should drop after the new models roll out.

My 2011 headlamp assemblies (HID Projector) are quite fogged. I'd like to replace them but don't want to spend $1000 or more on OEM if possible. Anyone find quality replacements at a good price?

Stuart

My 2011 headlamp assemblies (HID Projector) are quite fogged. I'd like to replace them but don't want to spend $1000 or more on OEM if possible. Anyone find quality replacements at a good price?

Stuart
When you say "fogged" are you referring to the inside? Sometimes older ones will develop a sort of covering on the lenses which can be easily cleaned.

Peter

Stuart
Is it fog on the inside?

If it's the outside, I've used a great headlight lens cleaner from Amazon. It's the cerakote ceramic headlight restoration kit for less than $20. Makes them look like new again, as long as you follow the instructions.

Toothpaste (not gel type) and baking soda will also work. There are many solutions to this if the member will confirm he is talking about the outside and not the inside.

Peter

Typical abrasive level toothpaste takes a lot of elbow grease to get the job done, unless the exterior haze is only starting.

I'd start out with wet-dry sandpaper (use it wet) if they're really bad, or if not that bad, move on to next lower abrasive like plastic polish, whether a product specifically for polycarb headlights or not, then finish up with a polishing synthetic sealant wax (meant for automotive paint), reapplied every few washings. I prefer that over a hard clearcoat finish application because once a hard clearcoat degrades, it's a lot more work to strip off and refinish the headlight again.

Is it fog on the inside?

If it's the outside, I've used a great headlight lens cleaner from Amazon. It's the cerakote ceramic headlight restoration kit for less than $20. Makes them look like new again, as long as you follow the instructions.
It's on the outside and I assume from 12 years of UV. I used a headlight restoration kit from Amazon, I believe it was Sylvania, about 2 ½ years ago. They're back to the cloudy yellowish haze you see on so many older vehicles. I've got pretty good DIY skills so I'm confident I did a thorough job of going through the steps etc so maybe the kit isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe I need to try the cerakote? I'd like to avoid new assemblies but the headlights are such a detractor from an otherwise good looking 12 year old Explorer.

Thanks

Stuart

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 10.57.26 AM.png

It's on the outside and I assume from 12 years of UV. I used a headlight restoration kit from Amazon, I believe it was Sylvania, about 2 ½ years ago. They're back to the cloudy yellowish haze you see on so many older vehicles. I've got pretty good DIY skills so I'm confident I did a thorough job of going through the steps etc so maybe the kit isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe I need to try the cerakote? I'd like to avoid new assemblies but the headlights are such a detractor from an otherwise good looking 12 year old Explorer.

Thanks

Stuart

View attachment 439509
Yeah the other ones I've found don't protect it afterwards, so you're back at square one. This one has a ceramic coating in the final step so that's probably what keeps it from coming back. They give a lifetime guarantee as long as you have the vehicle. Much cheaper than new headlights.

Good luck.

^ All that lifetime warranty means is that they'll give you another kit free. If they reply to your request.

Ceramic coatings do last longer, but cost a lot more and have to be stripped off once they degrade so usually aren't saving any time either.

Amazon product ASIN B006VU3762
This is enough polish wax to maintain dozens of headlights for a decade. Apply this a few times a year, first time as shown in the video, though after the initial haze removal, I wouldn't bother masking off the paint for touch-ups by hand where you have more control over where it's going than you have with a power tool. If the lenses are too hazed for this product, use a more aggressive plastic polish to get them to that point, and reapply the synthetic polishing wax before they get to that point again.

^ All that lifetime warranty means is that they'll give you another kit free. If they reply to your request.

Ceramic coatings do last longer, but cost a lot more and have to be stripped off once they degrade so usually aren't saving any time either.

Amazon product ASIN B006VU3762
This is enough polish wax to maintain dozens of headlights for a decade. Apply this a few times a year, first time as shown in the video, though after the initial haze removal, I wouldn't bother masking off the paint for touch-ups by hand where you have more control over where it's going than you have with a power tool. If the lenses are too hazed for this product, use a more aggressive plastic polish to get them to that point, and reapply the synthetic polishing wax before they get to that point again.

Good to know, thanks. The guarantee was there of course, but I didn't need to use it since it stayed like new for over 2 years (sold the car).

I thought you could remove the headlamp assembly a couple inches to make it easier to do the lens restoration without touching the surrounding paint, but checking in the manual it's not an easy process. (Remove front fascia and bumper assemblies) Yikes!

My old car was just a couple pull tabs to release the housing. So much for making it easy...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

Stuart

View attachment 439509
Amazon product ASIN B084RQKLV8I used this it work pretty good. I didn't want to remove the bumper again. If you take the lights out you can wet sand and buff and make them like new. My friend did that to his and it was a long process but he has a lot of patience.
The after market ones are okay but are cheaply made compared to the ford ones. I bought the ones in my previous post but not because mine were fogged. I recommend buffing yours. It can be done on the vehicle if you mask it off and are carful.

Back