EGR valve replacements | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR valve replacements

Art Tonucci

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie bauer
2010 Explorer EB,
Going to change this week. Any thing to look out for?

Shortly after buying the mountaineer, i got a low flow code for the egr, so i replaced it with whatever brand they had at Advance Auto. I cleared the codes, but it just came back a day or two later, so next i bought the Motorcraft brand and that fixed the issue. The two bolts holding the egr to the mounting bracket can be a pain to remove. Mine would not budge even after two liberal doses of PB blaster, I could not easily get my ratchet set in the tight area, so I just removed the two smaller bolts that attach the whole assembly (egr and bracket) to the intake. They are much easier to access and remove once you take off the air intake and throttle body. There is a larger nut (I think 1") on the egr pipe that runs down to the exhaust. This has to be loosened and slid back before the egr can be removed. I had to buy a larger crescent wrench in order to remove it. There is a thin metal gasket that comes with the new egr. Be careful not to bend this gasket so that it remains flat and makes a good seal with the mounting bracket. Also, be gentle with the small rubber/plastic hoses that attach to the egr valve, they can get brittle with age.

Shortly after buying the mountaineer, i got a low flow code for the egr, so i replaced it with whatever brand they had at Advance Auto. I cleared the codes, but it just came back a day or two later, so next i bought the Motorcraft brand and that fixed the issue. The two bolts holding the egr to the mounting bracket can be a pain to remove. Mine would not budge even after two liberal doses of PB blaster, I could not easily get my ratchet set in the tight area, so I just removed the two smaller bolts that attach the whole assembly (egr and bracket) to the intake. They are much easier to access and remove once you take off the air intake and throttle body. There is a larger nut (I think 1") on the egr pipe that runs down to the exhaust. This has to be loosened and slid back before the egr can be removed. I had to buy a larger crescent wrench in order to remove it. There is a thin metal gasket that comes with the new egr. Be careful not to bend this gasket so that it remains flat and makes a good seal with the mounting bracket. Also, be gentle with the small rubber/plastic hoses that attach to the egr valve, they can get brittle with age.
Thank you Jawit

Back