Power Window, Dome Light, Wiper Fail | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window, Dome Light, Wiper Fail

swilson

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
I just bought a 1998 and discovered that it has an intermittent problem with the electrical system. The windows, wipers, and dome light will all stop working. They stay out for a while and then function. I replaced the computer and it did not solve the problem. I cleaned the grounds under the kick trim on both sides of the car. Some have suggested the gem module, but before I pull the radio and replace it I wanted to ask for advice.

Thanks,
Swilson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the gem and take it apart look for broken solder joints

20181027_103536_kindlephoto-41870485.jpg

20181027_103523.jpg

20181027_103618_kindlephoto-41700047.jpg

20181027_103429.jpg

If all these components stop working at the same time then it is something they all have in common. They all seem to have different fuses, so you can rule that out. The GEM is all I can think of that is of common ground. I have heard some say that a leak from the windshield drips down onto the GEM and may short it out. Maybe wet it shorts out and when dry it works?

Maybe one of the relays under the dash is malfunctioning? I don't recall if those relays control the wipers, though.

Wiper relays are in PCM in the engine bay and only for wipers. One for RUN the other for Hi-Low.

If all these components stop working at the same time then it is something they all have in common. They all seem to have different fuses, so you can rule that out. The GEM is all I can think of that is of common ground. I have heard some say that a leak from the windshield drips down onto the GEM and may short it out. Maybe wet it shorts out and when dry it works?
It does seem to happen more when it is wet.

The fuse box can get moisture in there if you have a windshield leak. Try removing and installing each fuse a few times to make sure the contact is good.

Signs point to a bad GEM, but not all of the components that quit working are on the same harness that plugs into the GEM. When my wipers quit working I did all the tests, changed fuses and relays, switched out the MFS, and even got a replacement GEM and STILL had no wipers.

Swap relays around also to isolate possible bad relays. Any old electronic parts should be considered suspect, which is the GEM, PCM, all similar modules(like the wiper module), all relays, the overhead console, the radio, the climate control module, etc, etc. Try to swap those parts out if another is handy, owning two vehicles of similar models is nice for that.

Example, my 98 Mountaineer ran the battery down about a year ago. I put it on a trickle charger, and later discovered the fog lights were on. I hardly ever used those, and the switch was turned off.

The relay was bad, a little corrosion of the terminals was obvious. So I removed it, and need to clean the relay box(under air cleaner) terminals that have a little corrosion on them also.

Back