damaged front small radiator - what is it called, so I can order replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

damaged front small radiator - what is it called, so I can order replacement

ukfarmer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
Hi all, I am a farmer who has an indestructable, much needed and used 1999 ford explorer. it can't go on the public road anymore but is *** fabulously *** helpful at my farm. BUT I was towing it a week ago, and someone was not operating the towline very well, so it came off, and its hook snatched a black hose coming out of a small radiator, and tore the nipple on that radiator with it. I am looking to buy a new radiator but having two left hands, I do not know what it is called - can you tell me what I should order at a car parts firm please ? any help welcome !! more info - I plugged the hole in the radiator with a piece of wood - car still goes, but needs lots of revs before it goes into gear and goes forward with a jerk then, not very safe... especially with other people around. see pictures attached.

20190312_120932_resized.jpg

20190312_120947_resized.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like your transmission cooler.
Don't drive your truck until you fix it or you may destroy your transmission.
Your probably low on fluid now, so don't drive it.

You need to loop those cooler lines at minimum or you'll burn your transmission up!

trans cooler. Replace it and top off the fluid.
You will be back in business before lunch.

thanks guys.. it never is used for more than 10-15 minutes at a time (and gets switched off immediately each time as its a gas guzzler), as I only have a small farm - shall I just loop the lines instead of buying a transmission cooler radiator ? and where is the filler cap for adding transmission fluid located please ? checking prices on the radiator now ..

You can just loop them if you won't be running it more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

thanks guys.. it never is used for more than 10-15 minutes at a time (and gets switched off immediately each time as its a gas guzzler), as I only have a small farm - shall I just loop the lines instead of buying a transmission cooler radiator ? and where is the filler cap for adding transmission fluid located please ? checking prices on the radiator now ..

There is no filler "cap" for the transmission. There should be a yellow trans dipstick on the passenger side of the engine. You add fluid through the dipstick tube. Be careful not to overfill the trans. There is a cold level and a hot level on the dipstick. Fluid is checked and added with the engine running.

I strongly advise you to NOT loop the lines. If you do your transmission will have zero cooling (cooler or radiator) and heat ruins transmissions.

That's a V6 truck with a 5R55E transmission. You can connect the two metal lines/nipples there under the radiator together with a short hose. The line still connected is going to the radiator, there will still be some cooling, enough for anything but serious towing.

That broken cooler is for the transmission, it can be taken from any 95-01 Explorer that has one, which was almost all of them.

Be sure to add fluid and check it with the engine running, multiple times. I'd add a couple to start with if nothing has been yet since the line came off. It might end up needing five or more quarts, of Mercon V ATF. Check the dipstick many times as you add 1/2 quart at a time. Don't put more in at a time, when it gets close to full, it will go over it fast if you add one quart at a time.

Check both sides of the dipstick each time, one side you will learn is better to read from. One side gets more splash on it where the cross hatch lines are, the other side gets less and thus is easier to read. Regards,

Whoops. I assumed it didn't have the dipstick, when the OP asked where to fill it. Mah baaaaaad! Lol
You have that 95 V8 now and are trying to forget all the V6 stuff.

Back