Help! Window Tint Matches Outside But Not Inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Window Tint Matches Outside But Not Inside

STL14

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 XLT w/ Sport App pkg
Had 20% tint placed on the 2 front windows to match the rear factory privacy glass. The outside appearance of the two is really close, but the inside view is horrible. Any thoughts or has anyone else done a match that looks good from inside and outside?
tint pic 4.jpg
tint pic 2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope they used a good quality film
I would plan to add more tint to the rear windows if you want them to match the fronts
or strip the new film off the fronts and go lighter to match the factory

20190307_173121.jpg
20190307_173154.jpg
Yes, but i was trying to match the outward appearance. Definitely, from the inside they appear too dark. What about from the outside?

In the bottom picture i can see more background detail through the rear window than the front.

Looks good though and I bet you are the only one who notices.

In the bottom picture i can see more background detail through the rear window than the front.

Looks good though and I bet you are the only one who notices.
Thx, I can live with the outside. it's the inside that has really got me bothered.
tint pic 2.jpg

What type of film?
Metalized?
Carbon?
Ceramic?

I thought 35% was legal side window limit? Looks like the front side windows are too dark to me.
I agree. They are too dark. Re Missouri Tint Laws: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Missouri Tint Laws - 2018 & 2019 - Car Tinting Laws
That front tint will also make it more difficult to see out in the darkness or low light levels..

Peter

Guys aware of MO law. My intent is to match the privacy glass. The tint is Classic by Luxxar. Looking for someone who has successfully matched the privacy glass from both viewpoints inside and out.

Guys aware of MO law. My intent is to match the privacy glass. The tint is Classic by Luxxar. Looking for someone who has successfully matched the privacy glass from both viewpoints inside and out.
No you go back to the tint shop and ask them to match the factory tints.

Your front windows definitely look a bit darker than the back from the outside as well. I had 20% put on my front windows and a higher percentage put on all the other windows (on top of the factory tint) to darken them a bit also. I'm not sure what was used on the other windows but it all came out looking even inside and out. I've never had just the front windows tinted on any vehicle I've owned. I always get it tinted all the way around and its always come out matching.

Also, as others have mentioned and I am sure you have noticed, it will be difficult to see out of those front windows at night. Particularly when making left hand turns and in low light areas in general.

No you go back to the tint shop and ask them to match the factory tints.
Seems like the best course of action if one wants a resolution.

BTW, I don't think the tint matches from the inside or outside. Front windows seem to have more of a blue/grey hue to them.

Seems like the best course of action if one wants a resolution.

BTW, I don't think the tint matches from the inside or outside. Front windows seem to have more of a blue/grey hue to them.

Ditto, the color difference is slight but noticeable on the outside.

Tinting the rear glass may even out the effect from how aftermarket tint works compared to built into the glass tint. It may be the brand of tint, but it could be the kind versus OEM.

FYI, factory tint does not block any UV rays. Aftermarket tint generally blocks all UV rays. There are super light tints that all shops carry. Those are all similar to clear OEM glass, which is about 90%(not clear). You can put that on the rear glass, and then have them match the fronts to that result.

I put the light tint on my entire windshield of my 91 Lincoln. Nobody knows it's there except me, it protects the dash, and you can see through it easily at night. It does help with glare too BTW.

OP - Keep in mind that window tinting has more filtering that the OEM privacy glass and even if 35% Front/Rear or 20%/35% or what ever it won't be a perfect match as in AZ I have 13% on my fronts and honestly yeah there is a little difference from the inside but how often are you look at BOTH doors when you should looking forward :)

Looking outside in is always difference from inside out (as he has shown above)

No posts about legal % is needed here IMHO but the OP is/was curious about matching. Talk to your tint shop for best advise.

It will be very difficult to match the front windows, as the a have a factory greenish tint to them. My suggestion(s): 1. Go lighter on the front windows 2. Tint the rear windows darker(use a 35%) and will make it look better.

I did our front windows at 25% and the rear at 20% and I am very happy. The only window I did not tint was the rear hatch, as I did not want to interfere with the Rearview mirror Auto dim feature.

If you are set on have the windows match, it will take some time with different colors of tint and trial & error. Wish I had a better solution for you.

If you are set on have the windows match, it will take some time with different colors of tint and trial & error. Wish I had a better solution for you.
Call me crazy, but that seems like the whole reason why someone would go to a professional tint shop, right? The assumption is that they are professionals and know what they are doing. If they aren't professionals and don't know how to match tint, install it properly, or whatever, maybe it's time to find a different shop, no?

There are 2 perspective to this, if you like your front windows and wan to match it to the rear, they sell some real good tint at drive in autosound where it cuts down the heat, UV rays etc. but not dark when you apply it (some even DOT approved levels). If you want it the other way then you will have to go lighter on the front. Remember tinted glass is different from tinted film so a whole lot of difference. It would cost you a little bit but it is definitely fixable/matchable

I had my front windows match the rear and from the inside you can tell there's a tad difference but nowhere near like the OP's. In fact I'd say that you really can't tell at all unless you really look. I could try and find out what kind of material they use where I had it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back