Any experience with rear window dash cams? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any experience with rear window dash cams?

donroot3

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
I'm evaluating dual (front & rear) camera dash cams for my 2015 Limited. Has anyone tried installing a rear window cam inside the tinted rear window glass, and how does it do at night for video quality?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out forum dashcamtalk, as there are tons of info on this topic and lots of options for dual channel dashcams.

Several members have installed dash cams but I don't recall anyone installing one for the rear window. I'm guessing at night the camera would experience a lot of glare from following vehicles.
Mounting one might also be a challenge.

Peter

I'm a member on the dashcamtalk forum.. lots of great info there. I have 2 Lukas camera's for the front and 3 rear (1 front goes between to vehicles). Lukas is one of the higher quality companies... you will pay for it but they are fantastic and loaded with features.

You will not see anything but headlights on the rear regardless of what vehicle you use unless you are in traffic and the car behind you is close enough that the lights don't affect it. Daylight, everything is fantastic.

20160614_065748_zpsj5nzxvqw.jpg

20160614_065736_zps8wbjcazy.jpg

20160614_065713_zps33qatkqz.jpg

+1 for Lukas.

I've been running an LK7900 in my front windshield (in my current ride, but will move it over to the Explorer most likely) and have had few complaints about it.

Sadly, it's already paid for itself many times over...

I'm hitting the exact same question you are, though. I might stick a discrete Blackvue 2CH cam for front and rear coverage. I haven't decided yet. My paranoia likes to remove the front cam when parked in shadier areas.

I'm hitting the exact same question you are, though. I might stick a discrete Blackvue 2CH cam for front and rear coverage. I haven't decided yet. My paranoia likes to remove the front cam when parked in shadier areas.

I've thought about the whole break in and theft BUT then that defeats the purpose of the parking lot bump where they hit your car and drive off. Keeping it mounted, if someone hits my car, it will trigger a 30 second recording even with the camera "off" of both front and rear cameras. I believe it is 10 seconds prior and 20 seconds after the event. It also triggers event recordings for motion detection.. so if someone walks in front of my vehicle or behind it, it records a quick video of it as well.. this will help catch anyone who wants to vandalize it.

If someone wants to break in and steal it... well that's why I carry a $0 comprehensive deductible.

Do you run with a low voltage protection device?

Do you run with a low voltage protection device?

It comes with a hard wire harness that has 3 wires. One attaches to ground, one attaches to an accessory and one attaches to constant. When you shut the vehicle off, it knows that by the accessory power being killed. It then goes into parking mode (motion and impact recording only). The constant monitors voltage and once it reaches a set point, it shuts it off completely.

Voltage I believe ranges from 11.7 - 12.2 (set by the user). I have mine set at 12.1 so once it hits 12, it is off.

I've had no issues with the car sitting for a few days with I UT starting and it hasn't reached the 12.1v. You can tell because I have a blue indicator light the flashes when it detects motion or impact so I see it flashing when I walk to it to get in and leave.

Back