• Register Today It's free!

Center shifter

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Hey all! Was wanting to kinda update my explorer and was thinking of a center shifter like this I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if they can offer any advise.

7DD162AD-B588-4C1D-B259-97BE1E8DADFC.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a mustang/crown vic style floor shifter.
Sure you can convert to that, I run one of those in my BII
You will need the shifter, the cable and a new park pawl in the transmission
Why? Because the column shifter cable approaches the transmission from the front, the car style floor shifter cable approaches the transmission from the rear so you have to change the pawl in the transmission so it faces down instead of up.
You will have to rig a mount for the shifter, and wire up your OD button and shifter lights to the interior light circuit.
I love my floor shifter!!

Is your 2000 Ex a V6 or V8? If its a v6 yo may have to do some custom work to the parking pawl to get it to work with the new cable and rear approach. For the v8 trans the parts are available from Ford.

I've always thought of installing a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter in my 96.
I like how the shifter stays in the same position and ratchets to the next gear. I ran a B&M Quick-Click in my SBC Vega in the 80's and it is similar in use.

I'm working on this write now. I'm using a newer Escape floor shifter. It looks to shift the 5R55E trans perfect. You can see more info in my Plan B build.

my BII with 97 explorer 302 and 4r70w trans being shifted by 96 stand floor shifter using mustang cable and transmission pawl
I modified the shifter gate to hold it in gear otherwise it would shift itself from 1-2 and 2-D!! WTF mustang dudes?

171_041041_570000001.jpg

171_041041_570000000.jpg

there is trim and carpet around it now looks much better :) I love my floor shifter

Back