Gen 4's without factory running boards have a cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen 4's without factory running boards have a cover?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Ive never really noticed since almost all Gen 4 explorers i see have running boards..... but i recently removed the running boards on my EB and all im looking at is the ugly frame. I noticed first on some IRONMAN editions that they have a lower rocker cover that seems to go in place of the running board... and then i noticed XLTs have it to. Ive searched a few ford online dealers and cant seem to find this part. All i see are running boards.

What are these called and anyone have a part number? I want to call them rocker covers, but they are mounted under the cover.
1108892328.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive never really noticed since almost all Gen 4 explorers i see have running boards..... but i recently removed the running boards on my EB and all im looking at is the ugly frame. I noticed first on some IRONMAN editions that they have a lower rocker cover that seems to go in place of the running board... and then i noticed XLTs have it to. Ive searched a few ford online dealers and cant seem to find this part. All i see are running boards.

What are these called and anyone have a part number? I want to call them rocker covers, but they are mounted under the cover.View attachment 173503

part #: 6L2Z-7810176-AA
Ford Rocker Panel Moulding Guard

If you are able to find them (its easier to find a Unicorn), they were $113 each

thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how they attached? bolt on like the running boards?

Not sure how they attached but I can agree they are rare as hell. I recently had to help a woman who blew the motor in her 2008 XLT and the first thing I noticed upon putting it on the lift is that it had the moldings instead of running boards. First one I recall seeing in person

thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how they attached? bolt on like the running boards?

I have these on my 08' Explorer. They have plastic bolts that are held on via nuts from what I can see. I plan on removing mine soon as I have recently purchased aftermarket running boards.

so i talked to ford and looks like the part number listed above is a ford accessory part number and is discontinued. However looks the like IRONMAN came with a similar part and these are still available.

Looks like i wont be needed them anymore... selling the X i was going to put them on and getting a new X with power running boards.

Back